The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get some stuff together to help my new-found addiction.I'm stuck on what intake to get.

Was thinking of the afe stageII

Any ideas or suggestions? :shrug:

Thanks Dave

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
make your own......I did mine for less than $45..............works just the same as others on the market.

kevin

·
0 Posts
Dave....How much do you want to spend? If you want to go big $$, then look at the afe or even the airaid. If you want to do something simple, then look at the homemade Tymar intake.

Do a search through the 7.3L forums or even the tech section for it. I put it on my Dad's '02 PSD and he loves it.

·
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was thinking of going that way.. 4 inch 45 and big ole filter. I don't need to spend more to get the same effect. That leaves more in the 'jector fund LOL

Thanks Kevin and Dave!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
do you do any offroading?? how about oil analysis?? your engine will live longer with a good filter. for good flow-dust capacity-excellent silicne readings in the uoa-protection. i like afe. :Thumbup:

·
6,337 Posts
The paper filters have great dust stopping ability's! The tymar is the best bang for the $$$

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
Diesel Dog said:
Was thinking of going that way.. 4 inch 45 and big ole filter. I don't need to spend more to get the same effect. That leaves more in the 'jector fund LOL

Thanks Kevin and Dave!

:Thumbup: :Thumbup: :Thumbup: :Thumbup: :Thumbup: :Thumbup: :Thumbup:
yup yup yup............your a mod junkie now, I knew it was gonna happen in the Smokies.......I just knew it!!!!!!!!!

kevin

·
0 Posts
Dave...you'd better start apologizing to Jean now. Money is going to start disappearing, that 301 uncorrected will soon turn to 325. Your eyes will begin to glaze over like Homer Simpsons does with donuts. You'll soon be mumbling....

must....have.....more.....horsepower......LOL LOL LOL

·
Registered
838 Posts
4cstr said:
Dave...you'd better start apologizing to Jean now. Money is going to start disappearing, that 301 uncorrected will soon turn to 325. Your eyes will begin to glaze over like Homer Simpsons does with donuts. You'll soon be mumbling....

must....have.....more.....horsepower......LOL LOL LOL

Nooooooo......I just don't want to make this truck, which we use everyday for work, into something that becomes a headache with a lot of MOD's.

What he has planned, I'm thinking and may need to be corrected, should be able to pull mid-low 9's at next years drags. That's MY goal for the dually. What ever it takes to get there.

He was looking at gauges last nite, asked which ones I like - of course I picked out one of the most expensive - which was also the nicest looking set. And yes we're getting them.

My theory - spend the money ONCE and be totally happy with what you have even if it's more than you expected to pay and even if you may have to wait a week or two for the next item, than settle for something you don't really like and you're just gonna replace later.

Heck, I'm still working on new wheels for the SVX - just haven't seen any that I LOVE yet. It's been 6 months and it may be another 6 till I decide. THe ugly ones work....so why rush a purchase.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hey Dave,im running a tymar set up on my truck....love it!...no problems yet...helped fuel milage too! i put the biggest damn filter i could fit in there....$26.00!! from napa:Thumbup: :HappyMugs

·
Registered
48 Posts
yeh but why mess with it if i could i would make my own

95 psd extended cab long bed Airaid itntake, 5inch duels , 35inch baha claws, s-400 turbo, ats tranny, ats 5 star converter, Banks intercooler, 3.5inch lift, Banks six gun, piller pod –pyro-boost-tranny temp, texas style bumpers. Ohhhhh yeah

·
1,627 Posts
CSIPSD said:
The paper filters have great dust stopping ability's! The tymar is the best bang for the $$$

Yep, nothing beats a TYMAR, been running one somewhere around 6 years now :Thumbup: :Thumbup: :Thumbup: :Thumbup:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
One differance i see between the 2 brands mentioned.....Afe has a cool air shield and seal so your getting cooler outside air (more hp). Tymar has said the air is not cool enough to make a differance, Afe just lists the flow #'s but lists the cool air shield as an advantage. From experiance I can tell you Afe will make the turbo spool up faster and from looks tymar should do the same.

Which do you go with? What fits the budget and climate (MS mostly hot and humid) One other factor if it's relevent--Afe big Corp.--Tymar owner operated.

Ulitmate option: Copy someones AFE out of stainless or aluminum so it won't rust including the heat shield, though rust and road salt aren't much of a concern in MS.

Let us know the outcome :popcorn:

·
198 Posts
I have an Afe Stage 2. I wouldn't have it any other way!!

·
508 Posts
My vote's for Tymar. I just left the bottom half of the stock intake box in for a shield. The Tymar filter will sit inside.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Check my vote for the Tymar style filter set-up. I made my own about 2.5 years ago. I'm VERY happy with it. Since using it, my oil analysis reports have gotten a little better. But then again, probaly any filter system (except for the stock system) will do that. My descision was price driven. I was able to piece together the parts for about $40-45.

Hope this helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts