The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard on here that if you remove pipe wrapping on the intercooler piping it makes the turbo whistle louder somehow, was wondering if i do this will it de-power my truck or affect it negatively in anyway

·
928 Posts
I did mine about a year ago. No negatives that I've noticed. I think it looks better and the whistle is more noticeable. :thumbsup

·
6,337 Posts
The insulation was added for one reason and one reason only... Sound. Do it, for the one reason of it looks better. That crap looks like hell.

·
442 Posts
Whats the best way? Heat gun and time?

·
257 Posts
I heard it adds about 10 more hp :haha

·
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what no way... how the hell can it add 1o horsepower? and taking it off is as easy as cutting it off no?

·
6,337 Posts
what no way... how the hell can it add 1o horsepower? and taking it off is as easy as cutting it off no?

There kidding... I pulled off what I could then took a wire wheel on a grinder and some brake clean... done in about 20 munites.

·
102 Posts
got mine off tonight, looks alot better...try it out for sound tomorrow

·
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh with the shananigans

·
97 Posts
I bought a set of CAC pipes on ebay and soaked the foil in my solvent tank for a couple days, the foil and glue came right off. But...the shrill whistle from the turbo was pretty harsh in the cab :eek: so I put my original foil covered pipe back on after a couple days. Gonna sell this other set of CAC pipes now I guess.

·
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how much you want for them?

·
442 Posts
Is there more whistle outside the cab too?

·
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
for some reason i didnt hear much more in the cab but i did outside of the cab while going down the road...

·
442 Posts
Did they not wrap the early 99's? I checked mine and it had nothing.

·
97 Posts
"for some reason i didnt hear much more in the cab but i did outside of the cab while going down the road... "

Are you running a stock turbo? I have the Banks quickturbo and without the CAC foil there's a shrill whistle in the cab, enough to drive me nuts after one day going to work and back. This turbo / exhaust combo puts out a nice whine as it is so I didn't care about extra whistling outside the truck.

·
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
iam running stock turbo with napa cheapo intake but installing a wicked wheel next week

1 - 19 of 19 Posts