The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know theres probably been 100 threads of this install, but oh well. This is using the banks piping kit from DDP and a SD 7.3l Intercooler. It went fairly well, and it ended up fitting very well. And i didnt have to trim any of the piping so that was good. And a plasma cutter makes this job ALOT easier, i would make sure you have one to use if your doing this.

·
8,265 Posts
That looks like a killer install. Nice and clean!!

·
beware the dark side
125 Posts
he is right on the plasma cutter. I helped a guy do an install like this a couple months ago and used a riciprocating saw.:bang PITA. Yours came out looking great!:thumbsup

·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, i am very happy with the fit and finish of the banks stuff. Its expensive, but the quality is top notch.

·
git-r-done
457 Posts
Who has the banks Kit? DDP? More info please. I made my own and it works but it is not quite as nice as I wanted.
Nice job on the install. I used a 6.0 intercooler.
Did you move the map hose to the hot side? It helps with low end.
How bout the ccv mod?

·
Lurking
206 Posts
Looks good,great install :thumbsup how are your EGT'S now?

·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks, good luck John Deer, its not that bad, just takes some time. Diezel, EGTs are alot better now. Probably 150-200 degrees lower under heavy load. And i swear it feels faster. I know everyone says you get no HP gains out of an intercooler, but i think i did. It feels like it definitely pulls harder during high boost acceleration.

·
TDG Mafia #76
2,542 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread...

Got everything torn apart, installed, and ready to go, until I got to the point that I needed to put the Banks boots and clamps on my early 99 intercooler...the nipples on the intercooler are too big for the Banks clamps.

So, I'm headed to the local truck store in the morning to get two t clamps and gonna have it wrapped up tomorrow.

Sadly, a lot will have to come back out next weekend for injectors and the fuel pump.

·
Lurking
206 Posts
Diezel, EGTs are alot better now. Probably 150-200 degrees lower under heavy load. And i swear it feels faster. I know everyone says you get no HP gains out of an intercooler, but i think i did. It feels like it definitely pulls harder during high boost acceleration.
Sweet,I heard you really notice the lower EGT's when towing heavy, Im waiting for a few parts to show up then i'm installing my Spearco,i hope it feels faster too, :D i'll let you know.....:happymugs

·
TDG Mafia #76
2,542 Posts
Mine is in...helps good bit on hard pulls, and like the OP said, I swear it feels like it pulls a little harder.

turboTPI, did you notice more whistle from the charger after you put yours in? I couldn't ever hear mine until I hit about 7 PSI of boost before, and now once it hits 2-3 I can hear it...seems weird to me.

·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, i did notice more turbo whistle also. Not sure why that is, but im cool with that. I totally forgot to tell you about the clamp situation. I luckily had some bigger ones at my shop to use. The rubber couplers were a real pain in the ***** to get on the SD intercooler also. With some lube, i was able to get them on.

·
TDG Mafia #76
2,542 Posts
Got the clamps taken care of...no big deal.

I don't know what's up with the whistle, but I LOVE it!!

Yes, those boots were a pain to get into the SD cooler!!

·
Found On Russ' Drive
693 Posts
I would like to know how you guys got the boots on the intercooler??????? We worked for several hours to no avail. We finally gave up and got some stepped boots, and bigger clamps.

·
TDG Mafia #76
2,542 Posts
It was a miserable fight to get them on...I ended up putting them on the pipes and tightening the clamps, then wigging the intercooler end tanks into the other end of the boot and tightening those clamps.

It took longer to get the intercooler into the boots and the cold side into the intake runners than the entire rest of the project. And that included taking time to take the toolbox out, move antennas, and other stuff that had nothing to do with the intercooler install.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts