The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the intercooler can become restricted? If so what would do it and is there some way to test it?
Here is the deal. I keep blowing the boots off the hot side. I have the heavy duty dieselsite boots. The boots just kept blowing off all the time. I finally got the boots to stay on but now I have blown holes 3 holes in these boots. twice on the upper boot at the turbo and once on the lower boot. These are heavy duty boots and it is ripping them apart.
I was thinking that maybe the intercooler is restricted in some way causing higher pressure and temperatures.
Any thoughts?

·
Training Wheels King
1,301 Posts
Does anyone know if the intercooler can become restricted? If so what would do it and is there some way to test it?
Here is the deal. I keep blowing the boots off the hot side. I have the heavy duty dieselsite boots. The boots just kept blowing off all the time. I finally got the boots to stay on but now I have blown holes 3 holes in these boots. twice on the upper boot at the turbo and once on the lower boot. These are heavy duty boots and it is ripping them apart.
I was thinking that maybe the intercooler is restricted in some way causing higher pressure and temperatures.
Any thoughts?
Try modding the CCV to remove all the oil from the intercooler to keep the boots on.

·
139 Posts
Thats a strange problem no doubt, i dont know how your i/c could get restricted if your ac and turbos are intact, youve torqued the **** out of em and cleaned em and used hairspray? i imagin after dikking wit em a bunch of times maybe they would be more prone to holes but it all sounds strange, if you return it to stock and complain of some certain conditions causing smoke while humid for will put a new ic on

·
278 Posts
Me and my buddy keeping blowing them off as well. Same boot. We have cleaned and used hair spray. I am not sure what to do. I bought these boots not to have this problem and now I have it????? Must be something about our install. Can't imagine we are messing it up but must be? Any ideas?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not to wish anyone bad, but I am glad to finally find someone else having the same problem. Have you talked to Bob Riley at dieselsite?
Are you using the clamps provided with the new boots? I went back to the stock clamps and they seem to be holding better. I think I am going to do what someone else suggested and double clamp them. Of course I will probably just blow holes in them.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Not to wish anyone bad, but I am glad to finally find someone else having the same problem. Have you talked to Bob Riley at dieselsite?
Are you using the clamps provided with the new boots? I went back to the stock clamps and they seem to be holding better. I think I am going to do what someone else suggested and double clamp them. Of course I will probably just blow holes in them.
I double clamped mine with the extra clamps provided in the boot kit and used all the factory clamps. I did mine last summer and have had no issue since. Those boots are super stong and I run them(same material) on my 12valve cummins well past 60psi with no holes or problems. Seems like after they have been installed a while they just stick and don't come off.

·
278 Posts
I have not called Diesel site yet. I am going to double clamp some of them but where I blow them you can not double clamp. It sucks and when they blow off is scares the S*** out of you!!! Not sure what to do. Hopefully in time they will stick better???

They are definetly tough but if they blow off they are still causing one to pull over and do a roadside repair. Just thought by spending the $$ this problem would go away and it has not!!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not called Diesel site yet. I am going to double clamp some of them but where I blow them you can not double clamp. It sucks and when they blow off is scares the S*** out of you!!! Not sure what to do. Hopefully in time they will stick better???

They are definetly tough but if they blow off they are still causing one to pull over and do a roadside repair. Just thought by spending the $$ this problem would go away and it has not!!!!
I definitely feel your pain. I am going to get replacements for the 2 that have holes in them and then double clamp them. Mine seem to have blown at the clamp. I figure if I shove the boot on the pipe further and double clamp them, it will reduce the chances of them blowing.

·
278 Posts
Spoke with Bob @ Diesel Site they seem to think extra fuel is getting inside the boot causing them to fail. Anyways I bet your boot is the one he has that he says they will investigate to find a cause. Bob is suppose to keep me up to date. I guess we will see.

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
So what is causeing this? high boost? if so what kind of numbers are you seeing?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am just monitoring the stock gauge so the highest i have "seen" is 40. But when I am towing it is almost always at 35-40 when I am just cruising down a flat highway.

·
278 Posts
With the 75 Tune I have seen 42-45 very easy. With the 150 tune it hit 50 when I stood on it pulling my trailer. Again the power is great but then it blows the boot so imo it is useless. I have asked if the tune can be restricted on boost and I was told neither tune will go over 40 psi???

·
278 Posts
Ok ripped a hole in the hot side top boot pulling a hill with the 75HP tune. I was pulling my 40' Toyhauler. Luckly I had the stock boot with me but it on and was able to get home. This sucks truck has so much power and can not use it??

Bob with Diesel site called me and said it is due to the constant high boost #'s heating the boots up and tearing them up. He said that I need to get some revised tunes? I requested that from Spartan. I am at a loss. Again I have blown the stock boots, and the diesel site boots all being tuned. Haven't had any problems stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts