The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just found an interesting Caterpillar brochure:

http://www.allmand.com/Portals/0/Troubleshooting/CAT Diesel Engine Fluid Specifications.pdf

The discussion on EC-1 coolants begins on page 71 I believe, with the most details on page 75. The coolant section begins on page 67.

Some of their statements:

EC-1 rating is Cat saying that it conforms with certain ASTM standards: ASTM E1177 and D6210. Also D3306, but not D3306 alone.

Also, page 71 specifically states that OAT coolants that contain silicates do not meet the EC-1 standard.

On page 75 it states:

"Note: The CAT EC-1 specification describes the minimum requirements for Extended Life Coolants."

Table 29 (also on page 75) gives more details, and the discussion below Table 29 describes the required testing for the EC-1 rating.

Interesting statement on page 74 of the link:

"All CAT engines that are equipped with a CAT NOx Reduction System require a minimum of 50% glycol concentration to help prevent cavitation damage and boiling of the coolant."

I would bet that our EGR systems are similarly sensitive to the coolant concentration as well.

·
Curmudgeon
472 Posts
Thanks for posting that. I'll read it another time when I'm less adverse to think about coolant.

·
Eddy
85 Posts
Thanks for the link Mark. It was good reading.

·
3,051 Posts
Just read through the document, I agree with Eddy, excellent info covering everything from engine oils to fuels to coolants and more. Good read Mark-thanks!

Harry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts