The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its happened a couple of times now.... After a restart my lower center stack switches are dead.:gaah No EB, tow/haul switch, vented or heated switches are dead.Just the tire pressure switch is powered and the backup warning switch is lit up. On vacation now along coast/mountains and noticed it when I went to turn on the EB and it wouldn't turn on. Luckliy I wasn't towing the 5th wheel at the time. I was able to make it work again after I stopped and then restarted the pickup, sometimes it takes a couple of tries ,then it all works fine. Now I just got to double check its working before I head home with the 5er, some 6 and 7% grades with 20-30 mph curves. Hate to drive it without the EB in these conditions.

Anybody heard or experienced this?

:swear probably one of those issues a dealer (still under warranty) won't find unless its acting up when they have it

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
First I have heard with this Mike, you get it to the dealer yet?

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
First I have heard with this Mike, you get it to the dealer yet?
Neel,
I will call dealer when I get back. I just won't move with the 5th wheel unless I'm sure the EB is working. No codes are showing up as i carry my scanner with me on trips.

Updates:
Also 1st tow with 5th wheel with long steeper grades and running in 2nd or 3rd gears because of corners. Definitely need to get a mag hytec pan on trans before summer heat. Trans temp peaked at 197, water temp 207 and engine oil temp 217 on the grades.
So far def is being used at about 1100 miles per gal of def.
Peak turbo boost seems to be normally 27psi, but have seen up to 29 momentarily.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
I too was thinking about the Mag-Hytech, but Ill get her ride until the first service.. Mike your gonna get away from in miles as I have been :rock the Rubicon damn cold weather and snow!

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I too was thinking about the Mag-Hytech, but Ill get her ride until the first service.. Mike your gonna get away from in miles as I have been :rock the Rubicon damn cold weather and snow!
I'll probably let it go till spring or when I change the oil, Probably add on the Sonnax line pressure booster then to. One thing I have noticed is the down shifting in tow haul mode is much smoother then the 07.5 even with the EB on.

In 3.5 months, sitting at 8,7xx miles right now:toytruck.

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Made it home today, everything worked fine, electric power to switches never did go off.

On a side note I was watching the turbo boost pressure as there is a couple of 8% grades on 299w, one is 3 miles long. Seems there are 2 peaks in the boost. 1st one occurs at 1900 rpm and it hits 29 psi then it immediately drops 1, 2 psi to 27. Seems to stay there and as rpm's climb to 2900, there it peaks at 30 psi. It looked like it was holding but I had to back off on throttle for a corner. This was towing the 5th wheel locked in 3rd gear. The base of this climb has a 25 mph corner almost right at the start of the grade, then its pedal to the floor going up the 8%.

I wonder :shrugs what Ford and Duramax boost curve looks like just for comparison?

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Up Date:

The electrical issue I mentioned in the first post happened again today, 1st time in months. Happened to be in town close to the dealer when it happened again. Went to the dealer drove it into the shop and did not stop the engine while service write up took place. They took it in and hooked up diagnostics to read for codes, and this is without an appointment. Told me they need to replace the whole lower center console switch bank. Parts are ordered and will have to go back in.

There are also 3 or 4 RRT's recalls/updates that they will also do.

Surprisingly service jumped right on it :)even though I did not buy the truck there (my 07.5 did though) and did not have an appointment. Will updated after its completed.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Hopefully its nothing Mike!, but if it is I hope they take good care of you!, Put some miles o on the 12 towing the 5er this past week! She tows like a champ!, i keep looking for a reason to delete her.... I can't Find ONE!

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

Time for an update:

2 weeks ago had the lower center console switches replaced. So far they have been working, but it was very intermitant before. Dealer also did 3 RRT's (updates on various computer programs). One was for the antenna for Satelite radio and GPS. When I left the dealer all was well. Later that day the satelite radio quit working(screen said antenna not connected):thumbdown and GPS map was 150 miles off from my current location:confused: (wish I was there where it said I was:haha).

Took it in to dealer told them I could wait for a short while or needed a ride to an appointment I had. They said they will check it out right away. Short time later they said they are ordering a complete new radio, 8.4" screen and computer that controls all that. Apparantly they have had to replace a few already. They were very cool about it and that instead of trying to fix it, stall or... just replace the whole thing under warranty.

Other then this issue the truck has been great, Have over 19,000 miles on it and I think its fully broke in as my mpg has up 1-2mpg of earlier, running in the 17-19 mpg range.

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm lost

Well got the whole radio/gps/screen replaced and I think I'm lost! The GPS says I am in San Antonio Texas, just a bit off from N. CA:confused: Anybody near by:roflol:
Anyways the tech person at the dealer couldn't get to work, its the first time he has had this problem and he has changed a few. It has latest updates but......? Took the truck home while he researches it higher up the chain. Maybe :thinkingtime to ask for an extended warranty chassis.

As a sidenote with over 20k miles it seems the Cummins seems to be fully broke in as I am getting 18-19 mpg vs. 16-17 I was getting before.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Well got the whole radio/gps/screen replaced and I think I'm lost! The GPS says I am in San Antonio Texas, just a bit off from N. CA:confused: Anybody near by:roflol:
Anyways the tech person at the dealer couldn't get to work, its the first time he has had this problem and he has changed a few. It has latest updates but......? Took the truck home while he researches it higher up the chain. Maybe :thinkingtime to ask for an extended warranty chassis.

As a sidenote with over 20k miles it seems the Cummins seems to be fully broke in as I am getting 18-19 mpg vs. 16-17 I was getting before.

Thats a sign Mike! :wave Looks like you passed me about 2k ago, I have been using the Jeep as a Daily here lately so the truck has a huge 18k on her.. Jeep is just about to roll 12K... :damnit Truck hasnt be started since Sunday, but is nice and clean sitting in the garage.

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats a sign Mike! :wave Looks like you passed me about 2k ago, I have been using the Jeep as a Daily here lately so the truck has a huge 18k on her.. Jeep is just about to roll 12K... :damnit Truck hasnt be started since Sunday, but is nice and clean sitting in the garage.
:wave Neel
At 21.5k miles now:poke. My truck is not clean, its covered in a layer of dust, everything's real dry with our drought. Water if it can be bought is 20 times more expensive this year. Many water districts including mine have a Zero water allocation:gaah.
Back to the truck, at the dealer today and now they think the antenna/connection is bad. Needs to go back for good part of a day as the headliner needs to be dropped to get to it. At least they gave me a loaner today at no cost and will again next time. Talking with Dodge about giving me an extended warranty........will see what happens

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FIXED!

Well its finally fixed. It was the GPS attenna that was bad. The mechanic in is 11 years has never had to replace one before, lucky me I was his first.

As a side note the dealer gave me a rental car today since they needed my truck most of the day. I now know I will never :roflol:buy a Ford Focus as that is what the renatal agency gave me. To damm small for my 6'1", got a kink in the neck from keeping the head down :bangfrom hitting the roof. I did take it back covered in a nice layer of dust:roflol: though.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Glad that they got you fixed up Mike!.

What is your DEF usage looking like?

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DEF usage

Glad that they got you fixed up Mike!.

What is your DEF usage looking like?
I am getting 1400 - 1600 miles per gallon of DEF. I dump in 2.5 gallons when the gauge gets to 1/8 or less and that will bring the needle close to the full mark even though it holds 8 gallons. Each time I can get 3500+ miles before I refill.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
I am getting 1400 - 1600 miles per gallon of DEF. I dump in 2.5 gallons when the gauge gets to 1/8 or less and that will bring the needle close to the full mark even though it holds 8 gallons. Each time I can get 3500+ miles before I refill.
Thats not so terrible. 2.5 gallons fills an 8 gal tank.. :fishingboot

but 3500 miles per tank sounds decent. Your oil look any cleaner than your 07.5?

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats not so terrible. 2.5 gallons fills an 8 gal tank.. :fishingboot

but 3500 miles per tank sounds decent. Your oil look any cleaner than your 07.5?
Big difference from the 07.5. The 07.5 used to turn black almost immediately(20 miles) after a change and the 13 oil will still be somewhat clear after 4000 miles. The oil change meter is still calculating 14000+ miles for changing. So far I have changed the initial oil at 5k then been going 10- 12k. Just can't bring myself to go the full 15k that Dodge says you can go.

Oh I'm also over 20k miles now:) :poke

1 - 17 of 17 Posts