The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what the internal limits of our 24valve's before we start blowing head gaskets, needing head studs, etc...

Is it somewhat reliable to get to 450 hp with out having to do internal mods?

B

·
0 Posts
hic316 said:
Is it somewhat reliable to get to 450 hp with out having to do internal mods?
Yes! Although anything can happen at anytime when you go past stock.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I understand that the maximum boost pressure is 45 pounds and after that you begin to risk blowing the head gasket.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
StrokeThisGoat said:
I understand that the maximum boost pressure is 45 pounds and after that you begin to risk blowing the head gasket.

I think Cummins was quoted on saying something like 52 PSI actually.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I know that a cummins with no studs can go with about 55 to 60 psi.. I was pulling this with no studs.. But I went ahead and got the studs anyway

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
WBV06CTD said:
I know that a cummins with no studs can go with about 55 to 60 psi.. I was pulling this with no studs.. But I went ahead and got the studs anyway

Try doing that on a stock powerstroke or duramax.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds pretty damn good to me, 450 is my target number eventually, just trying to work out any unexpected and expected problems

·
3,514 Posts
yeah 450 shouldn't be an issue. I've seen quite a few 24v's running 50-55psi without headgasket problems but I think you're pushing it at that level. But like bill said, anytime you go above stock you start running risks. bumping the timing alot or running water/meth or propane will blow your head gasket in a hurry though, so try to do it on fuel only.
sean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts