The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I dont post on here very often, But I recently started to looking at buying two long blocks for projects I have going. One will be a 4BT for a 99' Chevy Blazer and the other a 6BT for a 37 Chevy Coupe.

My question is more geared towards the 6BT motor right now. I want to make about 500 HP, My question is what internal motor upgrades are needed; crank, rods, piston, head that will allow the engine to survive the increased power long term, I'm not a super heavy lead foot but I do enjoy digging into from time to time. I wont be pulling any thing nor will it ever be raced. This is going to make a lot of people mad in the classic car world but the coupe is going to be my daily drive.

I'm thinking of buying on a motor on ebay (this one), I however do not want to buy a long block just to replace 50% of it with upgrade parts. I can get a bare casting if I need to to make the power that I want.

Also what are some suggested items I should change to reach the power levels that I want? I would like it to spool quickly, smoke as little as possible and start every time.

Thank you for you time.

·
121 Posts
at that power level u prolly wouldnt need to change anything i think if you changed the cam out it would help spool your turbo quicker if you ran a single i would put a cam in

·
1,189 Posts
500hp just get a 12v ppump motor not a 24v. The bottom end and pistons will hold just fine. But I would stud the head and o-ring the head to hold the boost and not have to worry about it. I would find the right cam for what your doing, a set of ddp 90's, a 62mm turbo and your there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts