The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1997 international 4700 with the DT466 (not the high pressure oil pump engine) started running rough out of the blue. I was about to leave for the dump when it started missing and after a little while it died. Make a long story short I changed the fuel filter and primed the system back up and it ran good for about 5-10 minutes then I shut it off and parked it. About a week later I went to start it and it ran good but after about 20 minutes it shut off again. After messing around with it I realized that it has lost its prime again! Does this sound like a weak fuel pump or what could be the issue? I park the truck on a concrete pad and do not see any leaking diesel fuel. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
With engine running at idle the fuel pressure should be 65PSI and no bounce of the gauge. If bouncing the regulator is going bad. Towards the front driver side there is a fuel shredder check your fuel pressure here. Also with a clear tube/hose and the engine at idle drain some fuel and observe for air bubbles, it maybe a bigger issue (injector passing compression).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts