The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning Everyone!
I drive a 2003 International 4300 dt466. Set up as a box delivery truck. I deliver and pick up heavy automotive engines, transmissions etc. The truck has close to 340,000 miles and I've driven it for 5 years now. The problem I'm about to describe has happened 5 times now - each time I've required roadside assistance to change a TPS (trottle positioning sensor)or get a tow back to New Jersey! But noone can diagnose or fix the problem. Here it is..
This problem only occurs when it's wet. Rain, snow, or ice and the conditions have had to exist for a number of hours. It doesn't start as soon as it starts raining or snowing.
When the pavement is really soaked and there's a good amount of spray and water on the road I begin feeling a hesitation while I'm driving under power. The gauges don't flutter. At first it's hardly noticeable like a hiccup, but as conditions remain wet the hesitation becomes a slight bucking I can feel in the wheel and through my seat. Finally the yellow engine light comes on and I have no acceleration pedal action at all. The accelerator just ceases to function. The engine remains running and the gauges stay where they are normally, except the truck, the speedo, and the tach just wind down as I'm forced to pull onto the shoulder or into a parking lot. (Kind of scary in the dark driving rain!)
When I turn the truck off, it will start immediately - but the yellow engine light will come on and the accelerator will immediately drop out. If I turn the truck off and wait 10-30 minutes I can start and go maybe a 1/2 mile before the engine light comes on and the accelerator drops out. Waiting longer allows for a little longer driving, but it's a hell of a way to get back to base!
We've changed the TPS twice. And each of the 5 times the truck has gone into the fleet service, they've sent it back after a week because they couldn't find anything wrong. (NOTE: they tested it AFTER the storm when the roads were dry again!)
I need the forums help! Any ideas on what to check? Logic tells me something electrical is shorting out in bad weather! DUH!!! Any one have similar issues with an International 4300?
Email me .
Thanks bigeasy51

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
do you know what codes the engine throws when you get these conditions? is your air filter getting wet with water? is there any leaks in your intake? Don't forget to post in the Hd/Md section, they can help you out

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey New Omega and pop!
Thanks for the replies and the suggestion to post on the Heavy and Medium Duty areas - will do! My 4300 doesn't give codes on the dash and our company doesn't have any diagnostic tools. We send our trucks out to a truck repair company - which I believe is part of our problem. I have driven the truck 3 times, and been towed twice to either a dealer location or our fleet repair yard. I HAVE STOOD THERE IN THE RAIN IMPLORING THE MECHANICS TO TAKE THE TRUCK FOR A TEST DRIVE IN THE RAIN AND WET! No can do...we'll get to it soonest and let you know is the reply! They never do and always keep the rig for a week saying we drove it for an hour and it drives perfectly! AHHHHHH maddening!

·
188 Posts
Codes would be helpful but understand your predicament. I work in a busy shop and we would have taken your truck for a drive in the rain to try and duplicate the problem. We may not have had time to work on it right then but it helps to catch it in the act. Shame on the shop you take it to.

We had a similar problem go through our shop not too long ago with an international except this one didn't need the rain. It had numerous TPS codes and so it was changed out on a service call but the problem still existed. Had to have the truck towed back to the shop where after many hours of testing we determined the throttle pedal was worn allowing the TPS travel to not be consistent especially at idle. We installed a new pedal and the problem was solved. Most likely this isn't your problem but you may want to keep it in mind.

Just a thought but you might try to keep a moisture dispersing spray with you such as wd-40 to maybe spray on your wiring under the hood to see if that has any effect on your problem. If you can keep the moisture out of the problem area maybe you can make it home sooner.

Good Luck

·
63 Posts
I almost thought you were describing my 4300 truck I had a simiular problem pop up several times so this is what Ive done. Unfortunately with shorts, codes are at best only a starting point. You have to play detective.

1) These trucks have mulitplexed wiring so several items run on one circuit. Oh yeah, B.T.W., International used the same color on alot of their circuits so its almost imposable to tell hot from neutral. This may be why they didnt want to tackle the job.
2) If you replaced the TPS twice I would FIRST chase that wiring circuit and see what else is sharing it you may have a short, another bad sensor, or part taking the TPS with it.
3) Have you tested the alternator? It may be bad or going I had a bad alternator did the same thing wet weather only. Also check the cables from the alternator to the engine and bateries and ECM. Thier destination may varry depending on how youre truck is set up. Check the routing and quality of the work and make sure the right guage is being used some lazy, inexperianced douche bag may have done a rig it up job.
4) I would also check the batery cables pretty common for them to get a pinhole or crack and rot from the inside out you may find green and white powder that used to be wire.
5) Computer connections. The ECM is on the engine either on the valve cover or the left side tward the rear, you should also have a set of connectors on the firewall annother computer, Left side look for corrosion ether way clean the connections, and put them back together I usualy spray some silicone into electrical connectors to help keep the moisture out. You may need to remove the passenger seat and doghouse to get to the ECM. The ECM is a $4,000.00 part dealer only so be carefull! check the connections on the Trans computer if its an Allison, theyre usualy mounted over the transmission under the cab.
6) Do you have a liftgate? You may have a parasitic draw in the electric liftgate motor moisture gets into it. This bit me in the buttcks once in Manhatten dumped my bateries and cost me a 150 dollar parking ticket, B.T.W. never ask a metermaid for the number of a wercker company:bang. Anyway, chase the liftgate wiring assembly, you have at least a hot and posiably a neutral at the bateries again depending on the specing. Disconnect the pos and see if this helps or if you use the gate alot install a total kill swich not just a push/pull. If this works you found the circuit that needs to be repaired.
7) My last adventure, although not rain related but favored cold weather to act up was a loose connector on a fuel injector, it filled with oil and was running lazy. Not a big deal, it just takes time to get to them as you have to pull the valve cover. Carefuly disconnect all of them, clean the connector with brake cleaner and put it together with a shot of silicone make sure it reseats properly.

If this dosent help then Its a pain in the neck, your truck will be laid up for a couple days, and will take time and detective skills but its doable. You first chase the wire harness from the bateries to the engine, then the ecm, all the sensors and test connections, chasis, box liftgate, and wherever else the wires lead. Also check the test ports as the caps sometimes fall off or crack. You will have to remove the wires from thier plastic jacketts or remove the tape to see the wires. Where you can, remove the entire wire assembly. Run the entire length of each wire allong your fingers and feel for soft spots, bulges, swelling or missing wire. If you can check for continuity in most cases the wire itself should show little or no resistance. You may need a helper to help flex the wires while testing for continuity. Its time consuming but if you have a short this is the best way to find it and you might find other problems developing.

SOLDER and shrink tube all repairs if you use crimp connectors you will most likely be doing this repair again or paying to have it redone. Trust me, I learned not to be lazy from first hand experiance. I usualy clean wire assemblies with brake cleaner or laquer thinner to make sure they are clean. Rewrap the wire assemblies and fasten them so they dont get caught or shaken loose. If you can reroute or enclose them so they stay safer do so just make sure you can access them if needed and they dont impair other systems.
I run Expedited and spec-com freight downstate from western NY several times a year so I know the roads in N.J. and N.Y.C. do a good job at shaking things loose.
Feel free to PM me if you need any other leads I can also give you my phone number if you need.
Bob Wolf.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts