The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an IH 766 with a blown engine. It has a D360 in it and I am wondering what the differences are between that engine and a DT360 from a bus/truck. the front and back cover would need to be swapped, so is the block the same. DT360s can be had for much less than it would cost to rebuild the old engine, plus it has a turbo:thumbsup

·
281 Posts
Where are you at in MI? I'll bet that they are close enought that it'll work.

·
4,827 Posts
IIRC, the IH 1206 used a DT360. Don't have my Nebraska Test book handy to double check.

·
455 Posts
from what i understand the d360 in tractors is a dt 360 truck engine with no turbo and possibly a different injection pump. i picked up a running 1988 dt360 for $600 and looking at a non running one for $150

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The injection pump is very different, I would have to use the old pump or get an adapter to use the pump from the DT360 because I have to use the front cover from the old engine. In a tractor the front cover is cast iron and is used as the front motor mount, so I need to know if the the front cover and rear adapter will swap.

·
455 Posts
i dont see why not. the blocks still should be the same

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts

·
Hacky!
1,197 Posts
I have to say yes they are. The D360 which was used in the 766, 886 on up to the 88 series was virtually the same for the exception of the turbo. The DT361 is a totally different animal.

·
gone fishin!
2,833 Posts
the dt360 and ih360 are the same block, the dt has slightly more bowl on the pistons but thats it, i would swap front case and back case, use old pump, advance it 3* tdc, use the turbo and turn the pump up just a little.....

·
24 Posts
the difference is

the IH is a 1/2" longer stroke crank and smaller pistons but the crank will fit in the truck block so think about that and if you got the right pistons made you end up with a 460ci stroker motor:rock

1 - 10 of 10 Posts