The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
3,514 Posts
Locked up shifts are hard on stock shafts. you want billet shafts for locked up shifts.
Sean

·
3,514 Posts
Yeah, but if you plan on doing boosted launches ever, you will want a billet output for sure. I've heard of those breaking before the inputs in that situation, just something to keep in mind. Also the input is the more dangerous one to break.
Sean

·
3,514 Posts
I've talked to a few guys that have broken stock out puts doing 10psi boosted launches. And a good friend of mine had a truck running close to 600hp and his stock input was holding 25psi boosted launches without breaking. That trans is actually in my truck now, and I replaced the input when I had it out. But that shaft looked fine, not even any minor stress cracks. However I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. If you can only afford 1 do the input. But I wouldn't do a boosted launch on a stock shaft.

I do think Dazed is right though about the original topic. If we're only talking locked shifts and not racing, and not huge power, then an input is all that is needed.
Sean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts