The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there , first time caller long time listener . my recently acquired 95 2500 6.5 turbo was warmed up the two times i went to look at it , but the first morning i owned it , i started it and was surprised with a smoking ,hard starting (about 30 degrees F)misfiring truck, after a minute or so it cleared up and ran like a champ. but once you drive it , now she hickups down the street and ocasionally dies. it has 35 k on the rebuild motor and injector pump , i have replaced the oil pressure sender and have a working LP , and i put glow plugs in her . i am in need of iether a solid local diesel mechanic or some good advice , i make my own bio fuel but i want it running well before i use it , any help would be greatly apreciated , thanks, Ken

·
473 Posts
Rough start and smoke is traced to bad glowplugs/leaking injectors. Pull GPs and test them.

So the LP passes the idling test? What kind of PSI is it putting out at idle/WOT?

Fuel filter in good shape?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the glow plugs are new ac delco , the injectors are aprox.3 yrs old with 35k on them ,is there a manner in which to test the injectors ? i did test each of the glow plugs before installation , mostly out of curiousity, the LP , when i open the t handle petcock if puts out a relatively weak stream at idle , but its working , perhaps the LP isnt putting out enough ? im not sure where to access the fuel system for an acurate pressure reading, i have the tools and the mechanical fortitude but im not diesel saavy, im looking forward to a good running 6.5 , i do truly apreciate your time

·
473 Posts
Install a pressure gauge at the end of the hose that you used to test the LP for flow.

Injectors need to be pulled to be tested for spray pattern and pop pressure.

·
473 Posts
3 psi at WOT would be great....should be around 7ish at idle...

·
Cummins Man
980 Posts
I'm trying to diagnose my problem as well, truck runs for a few and then quits. I'm pretty sure mine is a PMD though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts