The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
forgive me for my lack of knowledge
Im new to diesels and this is my first one.
so when I say puking Im asking if this is what my symptoms point towards.
only 2500 miles on it and about 90 hours.
drove home fine today about 30 miles. It was cold like 35 degrees
Sat around for a bit then went to run some errands, when I got to the first place it smelled like burning brakes so I started paying more attention as I drove. well I started back home and noticed after getting off the throttle, the turbo would whistle loud as normal, then a loud ruckus would come about from the engine bay- sounded like something spinning roughly.
sorry I cant explain it better
So I get home and pop the hood and the coolant resovoir is filled to the right level or just a half inch low and light green flaky dry stuff is all over the coolant resvoir. I took the cap off after it cooled to make sure it was on tight and properly and it seemd to come off too easy
tightened it back up and it hasnt done anything since.
could all this just have been from a loose cap? Wierd thing is that cap must have just worked it self loose because nothing has been done to the engine since I got it. Is this puking? when it just comes loose and coolant is dried on the resvoir?
No check engine lights or anything
thanks for any help and insight

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
That does sound like it puked a little. You could have a defective Degas cap...hopefully its something simple like that.

Probably should go to the dealer and show them.

·
990 Posts
sounds to me your truck was in regen an the turbos were just spooling down.... mine makes that noise all the time when its in regen when i get off the throttle. at high idle in regen if you give it some throttle the boost will climb then when you let off it will make that sound too. and when you turn it off in regen too,,, which isn't good to turn it off in regen either. sounds normal to me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
you might want to have the dealer check the radiator, theres a TSB on them now and a lot of them are leaking at the drivers side about 3 to 4 inches down when under pressure. As it gets worse you'll think that its a loose hose or something, if that's the problem of course.

·
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys,
I tightened the cap and cleaned around it and nothing has happend again.
Im going to keep an eye on it and see if it happens again.

·
74 Posts
I had the same issue with coolant on the bottle when my truck only had a couple thousand miles on it. I also found the cap very loose. I tightened the cap, cleaned the bottle and have not had any more sign of a leak. I now have aprox. 18,000 miles. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts