The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,

I have a '99 F250 4x4 Ext. Cab w/ 203k on the original tranny. I know the engine is still good, but my concern is the transmission.

I'm thinking of doing some small excavation work, and I just can't decide to take the plunge and buy new (0% just hit today) or replace the tranny with an upgraded unit and a new exaust system to the tune of about $4,000.00.

If I get a 350 Chassis Cab I can add a dump bed. With the 250 I have now I'll have to pull the Bobcat in a dump-type trailer.

Needless to say the C/ Cab will be alot more money, but I also don't know if the old 250 is up to the task. I don't want to spend tons of downtime and money at Ford fixing it.

Can an older 250 pull a trailer and Bobcat easily with these upgrades? Or am I exceeding the 250's capabilities.

HELP ME MAKE A WISE BUSINESS DECISION. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Business decisions

That 250 of yours will move the weight that's not an issue. I own a small excavation company w/ 2 skids, 2 ex's (10,000lb, 16,000lb),20,000lb dozer,
'91 F800 single axle dump, '94 F-superduty dump, '99 F-250, my '01 350, And an '06 Denali. And out of all of them i drive my 350 every day, pulling a trailer
(i'll pull everything i described minus the dozer), running around to bid work, to picking up groceries!! It's just flippin' practical. Moral of the story is that if you already own the dump trailer and the skid-steer, i'd beef up the truck (tranny) and run with it.
Buying new trucks is always awesome, however thats about 500-1000 more dollars in overhead per month just to have the new truck. I woud use the one you've got until it dies (which could be never) and at the same time i'd be putting an extra 300-500 per month in a savings account until i had a killer down payment! Well thats all just my opinion but good luck with your endeavors.............. -fast_ashley

·
23 Posts
I also have F350 mason dump with stock trans. I have been pulling Bobcat T300 Loader as well as 341 Bobcat excavator along with dump bed filled with huge tool box and 100 gallen fuel transfer tank. I know I am grossing around 25000 pounds. This truck does this at least 3 times a week or more. Never had a problem with stock trans with 110000 miles on it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i pull a cat 277b skid and a cat 304.5 ex on a 24 goose neck all the time and i dont have an prob..pulls like a dream. i got a 97 350 reg cab long bed with
4" sus lift with 35s so a stock truck is gonna pull lil better anyways. but if i was no i would get some air ride helper bags in the back..they help just with the way it drives it makes a diff.

·
455 Posts
I use several mid to late 80s f250s here all with the idi 7.3 and they spend the summers pulling 5th wheel campers one 26 feet long one 32 feet long and a 32 foot goose neck horse trailer that weighs in at around 10k lbs loaded they do the job just fine with no ill effects well that is until I added a turbo to mine with 3 in open exhaust then I started smoking out c6 trannies swapped in a 4 speed and that problem is solved .. the stock engine powered trucks have done fine tho with the c6

I would think it will do fine

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
I had a 98 12 valve that was 5 months away from being paid off. I got a new job and "thought i needed a nicer truck" so i sold the dodge and bought the one thats in my sig. :damnit I kick myself EVERY SINGLE DAY for doing it and especially when i send out the truck payment.

New trucks are nice and all, but title in hand is better then most anything IMO. Not to mention you go and buy a new powerstroke and you could have more problems from the new one then you do from your old one.LOL

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
The "wisest business decision" you can make is to drive the current vehicle until the law of diminishing returns comes into affect.
When you are having to put more money into the 7.3 to keep it running, than you would spend by purchasing a new truck, then and only then is it wise to upgrade.
That, my friend, will be a long time, if ever.

Now, if you're doing well and want a nice truck, then that's different. I personally like to see someone pull up in a modest, capable, well maintained vehicle when they do work for me, regardless of what's in their driveway at home.

When I see someone roll up in a $50,000 flashy rig, I immediately feel I'm going to be taken for a ride to make his truck payment.

Not a slander on people who own nice trucks at all. I like to keep my truck nice. It's just what I have found to be the perception of the general consumer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I'd agree. It can be a turn-off for people when you show up in a Lux auto. Truck OR car. Not so sure if that is a problem for the fine gentleman in your avatar. He probably leases from Netjets.

Think I'll keep my beater. It's paid for. I used to go on bids in a Benz ML350 that I ran through my business. Some people didn't care, others did. It didn't affect my business too much, cause I kept my prices in line. Didn't expect them to pay for my ride.

But you give sound advice. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts