The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this old military trailer I am making new again. One of the things I want to do is get rid of the fender well inside the cargo area. I want the sides smooth for more cargo space. I borrowed a dually rim just to move the trailer until I can get my own and I liked the huge cap it crated. As you can see on the other side of the trailer I have a conventional rim and it will not give me the room the tire needs to travel if I smoothed out the cargo area. I heard a long time back that running a single dually rim facing out like that is bad. I doubt I will ever test this trailer’s true load capacity to it limits so does it really matter if I run single dually rims that way?

·
1,224 Posts
The issue of running a single dually wheel like you want to is the it will put a lot of extra strain in the hub, bearings a spindle because of the extra offset and the resulting extra leverage of the wheels. If you kept your loads to quite a bit less then the trailer axle was originally rated for then you would be ok. But I don't know how much less would be safe.

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the same question I have. I know these military trailers can handle a hell of a load. Most likely a lot more than I will ever put on it.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
You want the centerline of the tire(s) to be very close to the centerline of the bearings, with any error to the inside for maximum load and durability.

That wheel is WAY outside of the hub, I would try to find something that will move the tire in to within 1" of the body sides (w/o the wheel arch), because it looks like all the load will be on the smaller outer bearing as it is now.

·
1,224 Posts

·
236 Posts
plunder the military surplus equipment places. There were some wheels for the big 6 bolt pattern that put the tire just slightly inside of center. It had about 4" less offset than the dually rim. They were used in single wheel applications and sometimes on the fronts. The ones I had came off the front axle of a 6x6. Of course folks like Boyce Equipment or Long Wheel and Rim, or even Stockton will be glad to build you any kind of wheel you need. Not that expensive either.

·
645 Posts
They put single wides on big rigs that have a pretty good off set and years ago everyone said it would tear up the bearings, and they are fine.

I think you will be OK

Run it and feel the hubs often

A lot of guys run their dually pickup with just the outside wheels to save on tolls hulling horse trailers and they don't have any issues

1 - 11 of 11 Posts