The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing the fuel filters on an F350? Anything I should know before going at it? Any helpful tips?

Thanks

·
373 Posts
get you a big funnel to catch the fuel at the filter on the frame rail. make sure you are out of the path of the fuel when you take the filter out. you might want to get the updated drain plug while you are doing it, it will make life easier on the next filter change. the secondary filter is cake. Good luck.

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
should the truck be level when I'm doing the one on the frame rail or can i have it pointed uphill or does it matter?

·
1,661 Posts
For the fram rail, they make a stubby 36mm socket with 3/8 drive that gives you more room to swing the ratchet. Picked one up at the local auto parts store for $12.

For the top filter, don't use the square 1/2" drive hole in the cap, you take a chance of cracking the cap. Use a 24mm socket.

The frame rail (HFCM) might give you a diesel bath if your not ready for it.

·
348 Posts
For the fram rail, they make a stubby 36mm socket with 3/8 drive that gives you more room to swing the ratchet. Picked one up at the local auto parts store for $12.

For the top filter, don't use the square 1/2" drive hole in the cap, you take a chance of cracking the cap. Use a 24mm socket.

The frame rail (HFCM) might give you a diesel bath if your not ready for it.
Ya it sucks without having the socket.

·
227 Posts

·
120 Posts
My advise is make sure the area around the frame mounted filter is clean, if not pressure wash it, because you will likely get dirt on the filter.

Alternately wrap some plastic around it, get it into place, then remove the plastic and push it in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts