The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I have a 02 Dodge Sport cummins with an S&B intake and a Edge EZ and 4" exhust and I have a set of meters in the A-piller from Isspro and they are the old crappy Machanical gauages... I got my Boost working shows about 20psi WOT, however, the fuel pressure is what iam having problems with it is the one with the Isolator box and there is anit-freeze in the line from the Issolator to the gauge, now the problem iam having is that I can't get a reading on the gauge i can blow into the line from under the hood and the meter moves and the pressure valve in the issolator moves when i start the motor... i have about 1psi on the gauge when iam driving... now i know this can't be the pump problem cuz the truck always works good and the pump was replaced at 150km and theres 220km on it now.
Just wondering if anyone knows anyhthing about these gauges on how to bleed them or what is wrong..?

Thanks for any help!

VJ from Canada

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
VJ,
It sounds like you have some air in the line from the isolator to the gauge. We recommend pulling the line as close to vertical as possible (pulling up the end which attaches to the gauge, while the other end is connected to the isolator), and filling with antifreeze. Before that, you should have filled the isolator with antifreeze. If you suspect the gauge itself is an issue, you can try testing it by hooking up your air compressor and regulating the pressure down within the gauge limits.

Let me know if you are still having problems.

Thanks and regards,
Michael Pliska

·
1,055 Posts
Do you have a stock lift pump, If so it could have died again. The truck will drive with very little f/p, it is just very bad on the I/P. Try using another gauge and hook it to the pump itself.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have had similar problems when I was hooking up my fp gauge. I ended up taking the isolator out and it works just fine. I have a needle vavle inbetween to control the pulse from the fuel pump. I have heard of a lot of people having problems with the isolators. They are just hard to keep running, that is why so many people take them out.

·
560 Posts
haz-mat19 said:
Do you have a stock lift pump, If so it could have died again. The truck will drive with very little f/p, it is just very bad on the I/P. Try using another gauge and hook it to the pump itself.

Agreed, sounds like a dead LP...some last a while, others a few weeks...I never got more than 80k out of one...I would be checking for a dead LP...

steved

·
Registered
316 Posts
This is why I don't use mechanical FP gauges. The electric ones are SO much easier, and fewer problems. I heard the Di Pricol ones, you could go through isolators one a week sometimes.

·
706 Posts
I feel for you,I too have 4 isspro guages too. The only 1 that works right after 2 yrs is the 0-80 psi boost guage.The FP guage hasnt worked in a yr,isolator went 3x,lines leak at fittings,etc.EGT guage works when it wants too,ive been thru 3 amplifiers,and trans temp guage was fine til about a month ago,now i read 150 degrees a minute after starting it up cold.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
John DiMartino said:
I feel for you,I too have 4 isspro guages too. The only 1 that works right after 2 yrs is the 0-80 psi boost guage.The FP guage hasnt worked in a yr,isolator went 3x,lines leak at fittings,etc.EGT guage works when it wants too,ive been thru 3 amplifiers,and trans temp guage was fine til about a month ago,now i read 150 degrees a minute after starting it up cold.
John,
Sorry you have experienced issues with our products.

Is it an ISSPRO isolator on your FP gauge? We haven't been carrying them that long, and I have a standing order for all failures to be sent directly to me (and I have not seen one yet). Please provide details.

What are the specific failure modes of the pyrometer? What temperatures does it read, under what conditions?

The trans temp gauge sounds like it may be the sending unit. Please provide a shipping address and I will have a replacement sent out to you.

Give us some feedback on your issues, and I will make sure we make it right for you.

I can be reached at 800.888.8065 Ext 3407, or michael |at| isspro dot com

Thanks and regards,
Michael Pliska

·
1,055 Posts
I have an electric westech f/p gauge and have never had a problem. The mechanical ones make me nervous having fluid coming into the cab.

·
Super Enthusiast
187 Posts
I have an Autometer mechanical f/p gauge. The only problem I have is air tends to collect at the highest point before my isolator. It causes the gauge to violently flucuate. It's loud and annoying. I just crack the fitting open every once in a while with the l/p running to purge it.:cheering :cheering :cheering

Tony

·
706 Posts
Michael,thank you for the response,I am sorry it took me so long to reply,I have been on vacation.The isolator,I dont know if it is yours or another brand,when i ordered it,I simply asked for everything id need.About 3 months after the install,I had developed leak on the guage itself.I have had leaks at the guage side ever since,the liquid inside the isolator leaked out and down my steering column ,making a mess.I shortened the line,squared it up,even got a new sleeve,but they all leak a tiny bit.The isolator would eventually run out of travel,and id have to refill it,and compress the internal piston,bleed it all again.I went thru this about 5 times in a yr,and after i got my rasp system i just gave up.I cant remove the isolator either,then ill have fuel leaking inside the truck. The isolator is about 1" diameter,and gold in color(body,and the ends are aluminum hex head,with 1/8 NPT female threads on each end.

The trans temp guage,was perfect,until recently,now it fluctuates,and reads erratic esp cold now. All connections have been checked,and connectors fileld with dielectric compound.No difference noticed.

The pyrometer didnt work form day one(0-1800),i robbed the amplifier out of another set i ordered,and it still didnt work,swapped pyros ,stil didnt work,swapped guages,still nothing.Called my dealer I bought them from he sends me a new amplfier,and it works great for about 8months.Last fall it started acting up. It reads what i believe to be accurate for a while,then it drops to zero,and will stay there until you shut the truck off or idle the truck for a few seconds,then it start working again.I have 2 other Isspro amplifiers sitting here,brand new that dont work for it,your welcome to have both of them,as they do me no good.I can be cruising ,yanking my trailer at 900 pre turbo for hrs,all the sudden the pyro drops to zero,it will not work again.Then going down the road,ill slip the trans in N,let it idle,the guage will pop right up to 450 ,drop it back in gr and it works perfect for another few hrs.I have 2 boost guages that work perfect,the -80 psi,and the 0-60 psi i have between the twin turbos,both of them have been flawless.

Let me know what you want me to do,and Id be glad to send whatever it is you need,thank you again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My Isspro I love to death. It's the White face/blue numbers deal. Recently it started doing the buzz/vibrate thing like mad. Kinda strange tho being I have an 18" isolator hose that leads to the isolator itself. The guage is straight up dead on accurate but I just gotta find the buzz. I have the same isolator you have john (In fact It's the one I put on way back in Muncie) If memory serves it uses an odd 4MM instead of 1/8 npt??

VJ, I have seen Pumps last as little as 30 seconds. I kid you not we did a truck one nite and bumped the starter. It does it's 30 seccond prime thing and stopped. Truck would not start, Bump the starter and you heard the pump whirring away but it sounded like it had no load whatsoever. Swapped in another off the shelf pump whacked the key and fired right up. Later on we tried moving Diesel from one soda bottle to another with the freshly taken off pump and it would not do it. . . . Dead after 30 seconds of use :damnit

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
John DiMartino said:
Michael,thank you for the response,I am sorry it took me so long to reply,I have been on vacation.The isolator,I dont know if it is yours or another brand,when i ordered it,I simply asked for everything id need.About 3 months after the install,I had developed leak on the guage itself.I have had leaks at the guage side ever since,the liquid inside the isolator leaked out and down my steering column ,making a mess.I shortened the line,squared it up,even got a new sleeve,but they all leak a tiny bit.The isolator would eventually run out of travel,and id have to refill it,and compress the internal piston,bleed it all again.I went thru this about 5 times in a yr,and after i got my rasp system i just gave up.I cant remove the isolator either,then ill have fuel leaking inside the truck. The isolator is about 1" diameter,and gold in color(body,and the ends are aluminum hex head,with 1/8 NPT female threads on each end.
John,
Sorry my response is so late! I didn't notice the response on this thread until now. The isolator does not sound like ours. Ours is about 3" diameter (more of a pancake style). Is the leak from the tubing itself or between the fittings on the gauge? Are you using tubing from an ISSPRO installation kit, or generic 1/8" tubing. Our kits come with SAE J844 spec tubing, which seals better and is much more resistant to kinking than the generic clear plastic tubing. Let me know if the gauge itself is leaking, and I'll have a replacement sent ASAP.

John DiMartino said:
The trans temp guage,was perfect,until recently,now it fluctuates,and reads erratic esp cold now. All connections have been checked,and connectors fileld with dielectric compound.No difference noticed.
Please send me the model you are using and your mailing address, and I'll have a replacement sent. I suspect it is the sending unit.

John DiMartino said:
The pyrometer didnt work form day one(0-1800),i robbed the amplifier out of another set i ordered,and it still didnt work,swapped pyros ,stil didnt work,swapped guages,still nothing.Called my dealer I bought them from he sends me a new amplfier,and it works great for about 8months.Last fall it started acting up. It reads what i believe to be accurate for a while,then it drops to zero,and will stay there until you shut the truck off or idle the truck for a few seconds,then it start working again.I have 2 other Isspro amplifiers sitting here,brand new that dont work for it,your welcome to have both of them,as they do me no good.I can be cruising ,yanking my trailer at 900 pre turbo for hrs,all the sudden the pyro drops to zero,it will not work again.Then going down the road,ill slip the trans in N,let it idle,the guage will pop right up to 450 ,drop it back in gr and it works perfect for another few hrs.I have 2 boost guages that work perfect,the -80 psi,and the 0-60 psi i have between the twin turbos,both of them have been flawless.

Let me know what you want me to do,and Id be glad to send whatever it is you need,thank you again.
Sounds like a bad amplifier box (again). I will arrange to have a replacement sent out. I would like to get the bad ones back for failure analysis. I had the rep from the contract manufacturer of those boxes in the office today, let's just say that I didn't have too much nice say to him...

Thanks and regards,
Michael Pliska

1 - 13 of 13 Posts