The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I now drive a Duramax...
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 CTD Automatic there is the breakdown.

Died pulling up to a stopsign. Couldn't restart it on the first try called a buddy for a ride, got off the phone and tried again. Started fine but once I pulled away from the stopsign it started sputtering real bad kind of like when it is real cold(0 or below) and it idles rough. Put it in neutral to get the rev's up enough to smooth it out and then put it back into drive. Started running fine went through another stopsign but pulling up to another stop it started dying again. So I put it back into neutral to keep the rev's up enough for it not to die. Got it far enough to get it into a parking lot. Pulled into a parking spot to empty the fuel/water seperator thinking there was water in the fuel and drained it. Was walking back to the door and it died again. Tried to restart it with no luck. Any ideas on what could be causing this? I have my ideas but I don't want to say and look like an idiot. Starts with an injection and ends with a pump. It's under warranty so anything you think is good to go. Thanks for looking.

Tyler

·
1,189 Posts
sounds like a lift pump issue mine had a bad ground wire when it was my dads and would be off and on with the issue.

·
I now drive a Duramax...
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anybody else?

·
113 Posts
check and see if u are popping any codes. turn your switch on and off three times and look at the odometer codes should pop up if you have any. rig a gauge to check your fuel pressure at the pump. dodge says "anything below 10psi at idle lift pump needs replaced" if it does need to replaced spend the money and get a fass. it will be and overkill but never have to worry about fuel pressure again plus 6 year warranty :sly: :woot:

when the last time u changed your fuel filter? as crappy as our fuel is today u should change it every 5000 or 10000 miles. filters are cheaper then pumps and injectors.

·
I now drive a Duramax...
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is under warranty through Wynn's so I doubt they will pay for a fass. And I haven't replaced the fuel filter since I've gotten it, 15,000 miles ago so maybe this is my fault...

·
I now drive a Duramax...
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much are the FASS pumps? I've been trying to find a price but the websites for the dealers near me don't even list their pumps for sale.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I doubt it being your lift pump. Your lift pump COULD be dead, but if it was, it wouldn't cause the truck not to run.

The only thing a lift pump will do is kill your injector pump. My vote is for the VP44 injector pump.

Try this: Go out and get in your truck. Bump the starter, but do NOT let the engine fire. Just bump it maybe twice. Ok, now pop the hood real fast and get out. Hold your ear sorta by the fuel filter and listen. Do you hear anything?

There is a small pump down there mounted to the side of the block. That would be your lift pump. When you bump the key, the pump will run to prime the fuel system. IF the pump is good, it's usually loud and can be heard easily. If it's bad, you'll BARELY hear it, or not at all.

You'll likely need a new one, or better yet, a FASS and a new VP44 pump.

I reccomend getting some gauges too. ATLEAST a fuel pressure and Pyrometer gauge. Boost isn't really needed until you get to pushing major HP, but since a boost gauge is relatively cheap, you might as well get one of those too.

·
I now drive a Duramax...
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The shop checked both lift and injection and they said both were bad. Wynn's doesn't like the $2400 bill so they are sending out an adjuster, which should be here today. Hopefully I get my truck back sometime soon. I'm tired of driving my wifes Volvo.

·
I now drive a Duramax...
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anybody that has a FASS, how much did you pay for the unit?

·
232 Posts
to much

·
45 Posts
they runn apprx $460 w/out the filters and $6something w/the filters

·
Alaskan Assassin
88 Posts
Ive got a third pump right in front of my fuel tank to help the lift pump out. not sure what brand, it was on there when i bought the truck.

·
I now drive a Duramax...
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got my truck back just now, it seems sluggish for some reason. When I give it a little gas and let off quick I hear a whining noise coming from the exhaust, I'm really hoping my turbo isn't rubbing. My oil pressure was pretty high the whole time I was driving it.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts

·
I now drive a Duramax...
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Checked into it a little more, it sounds more like its coming from under the cab. Maybe one of the new pumps is bad? It's more of a whoooo kinda noise if you pronouce it right in your head:). Not the high pitch whistle of a turbo. It doesn't feel like it has that same power and it makes the noise when accelerating slightly and when coasting. I can't really hear it under full throttle since it's a diesel and it's straightpiped...let me know what you think. I'm probably just going to take it back to the shop that did the work on Monday.

·
32 Posts
FASS costs

I paid just under $1,000 for a FASS, pressure guage, isolator and full installation. I'm real happy with it, but I was too late, the VP44 was already dying and went out completely in about 5 months.
Found out that my biggest problem was the in-tank screen/sock was plugged up from bad fuel, and my fuel pressure would go way down under load. Cured that problem by giving the tank an enema with 150psi air line, into the pickup tube. I think I blew the in-tank filter off. Took the truck to Florida the day after, towing a 29 ft toy hauler and never went below 12 psi fuel pressure during the 1,000 mile/plus round trip.
I am convinced that the in-tank filter was the problem to begin with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a FASS from AnythingDiesel.com PH 866-511-7693 and got a super deal account bought $3950 worth of stuff. It would be unfair to say the price but it is over $100 cheaper than anything on e-bay. Call them and talk to Josh- He is very patient, informative, and can get you anything you need for your truck. On my purchase, I saved over $1200 (yes twelve hundred!!!) dollars by bundling my order. Good luck! JIM

1 - 19 of 19 Posts