The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 ford f350 7.3. the problem is i was replacing the fuel supply pump and taking it out the plunger had fallen into the block. yes the plunger. its a valve like that rides on the camshaft. i pulled it out and it just fell into the engine. ive been trying to fish it out with magnets and the scope where you can look down in tight small spaces. drained the oil pan to see i could get a magnet in there or something but its not in the pan.

Anyone else had this problem? or any ideas would help alot.

thanks

·
1,921 Posts
Did it fall through past the cam? You could try rolling it over by hand and see if it is sitting on the crank or something and will fall into the oil pan. Is it small enough that you could get it out of the drain plug hole anyway? Man I hate to hear about stuff like this but you may end up having to pull the engine and pull the pan.

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
I know with my truck... if the plunger falls off... you have to jack up the engine... and drop the oil pan...Even If its in the oil pan... your not going to fish it out through the drain plug.. If not... looks like you'll be taking apart the top half of the motor..

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i actually felt the magnet grab it today and when i pulled up it fell and could hear it make the ting ting noise. it was in the pan. we bumped the bottom of the pan and sure enough it was vibrating down there. i had bumped the pan yesterday and it wasnt make that noise. so its gonna live down there until someone has to pull the pan out. it shouldnt harm anything thing should it? i mean the pan is baffled and the pick up tube has a screen. there wouldnt be enough current to stir it up to the crank?

thoughts.....

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
YOu mean just sitting there in the pan.. It sohuldnt.. Just dont try to bump the motor over for anything.. Drain the oil pop the pan off... and grab it.. Heck you even get a new gasket out of the deal..

·
6,337 Posts
You cant pull a oil pan off of a PSD when the motor is in the truck...

·
0 Posts
How far will the pan drop though? I mean...if the pan will lower a couple of inches...try to grab it again with the magnet...then just bolt the pan back up.

·
2,509 Posts
this may be a stretch but I think there is an adapter that bolts to the side of the pan where the dipstick tube goes in. the only problem is the adapter wont come out of the hole it has to be pushed in, but you may be able to take the nut off of it and push it in while hanging on to it with something then you may be able to fish out the rod with you magnet through that hole. if you drop the adapter in the pan your looking at pulling the pan off somehow any way it may be worth a try.

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
CSIPSD said:
You cant pull a oil pan off of a PSD when the motor is in the truck...

Same thing with a cummins.. you have to jack up the motor

BUT....!

If he can drop the pan down... just enough to stick a magnet in there it should work wouldnt it?:shrug:

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Pontiacross has a great idea going there, but when you seperate the two halfs of the thing, be sure to have vice grips or something of that nature on the tube that way it doesnt fall into the pan also. Been there done that a few times. We had the same thing happen to one of our Internationals, good luck and I hope everything works out ok.

Tony

On edit, get some good RTV to seal that back up with, and clean the area with brake cleaner cause it will leak after being torn apart. We goop the snot out of ours and so far they leak very little, but it will after being torn apart and not being sealed up.

·
rock removal technition
589 Posts
just trying to seperate the pan from the engine is a PIA.

·
169 Posts
frm_808 said:
i actually felt the magnet grab it today and when i pulled up it fell and could hear it make the ting ting noise. it was in the pan. we bumped the bottom of the pan and sure enough it was vibrating down there. i had bumped the pan yesterday and it wasnt make that noise. so its gonna live down there until someone has to pull the pan out. it shouldnt harm anything thing should it? i mean the pan is baffled and the pick up tube has a screen. there wouldnt be enough current to stir it up to the crank?

thoughts.....
I read of someone having the same problem, he ended up getting a drain repair kit ,that requires making the hole a little bigger to install the kit , the hole was then big enough to remove the tappet...I 'll try & find where I read it....

·
169 Posts
This was what I read...:

dropped the plunger from the low pressure pump down my motor!
fortunatly it landed in the oil pan, but it was a little to big to fit through the drain hole. so i bought what they call a pan saver, where you drill a new hole in your oil pan, and plug it with a special bolt. that was just big enough to get the plunger out through the bottom.....be careful..

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
if you know someone thats a good welder, cut a small hole in the pan and just weld it back up, make sure there a good welder so it dont leak, but that shouldnt be a problem should it?

you probably got the same feeling i got when i dropped a valve down in the cylinder when i was going my valve springs, i thought i had a mild heart attack, it took about 3 hours but i got it out using a magnet

·
1,921 Posts
blackcloudCTD95 said:
Same thing with a cummins.. you have to jack up the motor

BUT....!

If he can drop the pan down... just enough to stick a magnet in there it should work wouldnt it?:shrug:

There is no jack up the motor to get the pan off. It has to come pretty much completely out. You pretty much have to chisel the pan off being it's glued on with sealant. There is no gasket.

Trying to get it out the dip stick hole may work if you can make sure you don't drop that bracket in the pan. I'd try putting something thorugh the hole the dip stick goes through like a rope with a small bar or something across the end so that it wont just pull back out. Let the bracket drop down in the pan then fish out the plunger from the fuel pump. Pull the rope and it will bring the bracket back to the hole. Try installing a new o-ring on it rather than gooping the crap out of it with silicone. It will most likely seal better and you won't have any leaks if you do it properly.

I think the easiest solution yet is the new larger drain plug. As long as the new kit is good enough that it won't leak I think that's the route I'd take.

·
1,921 Posts
Well glad to hear you got it in any case.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts