The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can you get a jake brake for a 2003 7.3l f-250 i am running 4in stacks and its just not loud enought yet. also what is the best chip

·
Registered
394 Posts
No only an exhaust brake... DP Tuner

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Jakes work on the valves, so as the previous posted said, no they are not available.

An exhaust brake will quiet it down some so I can sleep when you drive by.

·
6,337 Posts
cowboy1092 said:
can you get a jake brake for a 2003 7.3l f-250 i am running 4in stacks and its just not loud enought yet. also what is the best chip

Exhaust brakes work good, no more louder then your normal exhaust, just changes the sound... I have a nice set up from SP Diesel that works great using the factory EBPV...

Tunes,

www.dp-tuner.com

www.elite-diesel.com

www.totaldieselperformance.com

Pick your tuner, there all great!

·
454 Posts
Just remeber on thing about any kind of engine retarding, the V8 diesels have hydraulic lifters and were never intented for the abuse of any kind of exteme backpressure. If you are willing to take the risk of putting one one like a lot of us diesel guys doo, then make sure your transmision is setup to handle it. if you don't have a shift kit, upgraded valve body and torque converter with a contoler for an exhaust brake, its not going to do the prober job for you.

·
497 Posts
I'd like to hear the sound of a jake on a truck if anyone has anything! I heard that it dosen't sound like a semi is this true??

·
6,337 Posts
Just sounds like your EBPV is closed... Because thats all it is...

just a hisssssss sound...

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
CSIPSD said:
Just sounds like your EBPV is closed... Because thats all it is...

just a hisssssss sound...

:whs: some people think it does, but they haven't been around enough real jake brakes to know. It makes a nice little rumble and a hisss at the tailpipe but nothing even close to the sound of a jake. The exhaust brake is all muffled together in on constant sound, as apposed to the jake's were you can hear each cylinder. :2cents

·
I do all my own stunts
457 Posts
Sometimes I wonder. If added braking is what you are after there are a number of options. Everything from Pac Brakes the EBPV mods and even something like a Telma setup.

·
270 Posts
Personally, I think a simple button to lock the Torque Converter will work just as well as the exh. brakes do.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
DZLJIM said:
Personally, I think a simple button to lock the Torque Converter will work just as well as the exh. brakes do.
If your going to do that then why not put two switches in and an extra two feet of wire and you'd get both :shrug: And that will really slow you down :Thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts