The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The DUDE!!
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a new toy to play around with on weekends and cruise around with. I've always wanted an older jeep. Well i found one. Looking for some input on it to see what some of y'all think.

Here are the specs:
1981 Jeep CJ7 wrangler 8000 miles since rebuilt in 2002
Rebuilt 304 V8 w/ fuel injection
Rebuilt 999 auto trans with B&M shifter
Both differentials rebuilt:
Bearing and seals
Added Summers one piece axles in the rear diff
Added disc brakes to rear diff
A/C
New paint (although I think it’s not perfect it’s still looks good)
New Corbeau seats with 5 point harness
New gauges in 09
New electric fuel pump in 09
Come with 3 tops: hard w/hard doors-black, soft w/soft doors-tan, and bikini-black
New body bushings
New “be-cool” aluminum radiator
4” lift with rancho shocks
5 new tires

Overall, it looks pretty good and is in decent shape. no rust or dents. I've talked to the guy about it a few times and i'm going to go drive it around on Saturday. Looking to get a few opinions about it from people that know a little more about Jeeps than i do. I know enough to be dangerous and that's about it. Guy wants $9500 for it, but i've got him down to $8500 so far.

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts
Just Enjoy Every Pop....JEEP.

·
The DUDE!!
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just Enjoy Every Pop....JEEP.
yea, i know all about the little things about owning one. I just want one for a toy to play with instead of my truck. I've ridden in them all the time, just never owned one.

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts
sounds like a decent deal to me.

·
326 Posts
Sounds like a good deal. What size tires are on it? If they are 33's or 35's you may want consider changing the rear end to a dana 44 or a ford 8.8 because the axle tubes can twist in the axle center section.

·
32 Posts
:whs 35s are to big to run on a dana 30 offroad you end up breaking axle shafts and that is no fun to fix on the trail.

·
928 Posts
JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket

Check thoroughly for rust and get him to come down off the price, you will need the money to fix stuff. I have had two, an 86 CJ7 and a 91 YJ, never again.

·
I now drive a Duramax...
318 Posts
Sounds like a good deal. What size tires are on it? If they are 33's or 35's you may want consider changing the rear end to a dana 44 or a ford 8.8 because the axle tubes can twist in the axle center section.
Do a Ford 8.8 it's a stronger axle than a D44. Wend the tubes and truss it and it will last longer. The shafts and tubes are bigger diameter than a D44 and the ring gear is also more than a 1/4" bigger so it will all be stronger in the long run...I'm an XJ guy so I can't comment on the deal on the CJ though.

Tyler

·
2,710 Posts
I'm looking at getting a new toy to play around with on weekends and cruise around with. I've always wanted an older jeep. Well i found one. Looking for some input on it to see what some of y'all think.

Here are the specs:
1981 Jeep CJ7 wrangler 8000 miles since rebuilt in 2002
Rebuilt 304 V8 w/ fuel injection
Rebuilt 999 auto trans with B&M shifter
Both differentials rebuilt:
Bearing and seals
Added Summers one piece axles in the rear diff
Added disc brakes to rear diff
A/C
New paint (although I think it’s not perfect it’s still looks good)
New Corbeau seats with 5 point harness
New gauges in 09
New electric fuel pump in 09
Come with 3 tops: hard w/hard doors-black, soft w/soft doors-tan, and bikini-black
New body bushings
New “be-cool” aluminum radiator
4” lift with rancho shocks
5 new tires

Overall, it looks pretty good and is in decent shape. no rust or dents. I've talked to the guy about it a few times and i'm going to go drive it around on Saturday. Looking to get a few opinions about it from people that know a little more about Jeeps than i do. I know enough to be dangerous and that's about it. Guy wants $9500 for it, but i've got him down to $8500 so far.
If ya can get it for $7,500 jump on it :peelout

EDIT:
here try these guys very friendly & knowledgeable:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/

Mike

·
34 Posts
Here is something I learned the hard way, before you buy fold the windshield down and check to make sure the seal is holding and there is no rust there. other than that it sound like it has been almost completely restored but on old jeeps sometimes value is a matter of opinion regardless of condition.

·
2,710 Posts
Here is something I learned the hard way, before you buy fold the windshield down and check to make sure the seal is holding and there is no rust there. other than that it sound like it has been almost completely restored but on old jeeps sometimes value is a matter of opinion regardless of condition.
That is very true :thumbsup

I personally would pay more for an AMC Jeep then i would a Chrysler jeep ;)

Mike

·
Auto's are for pansies
2,117 Posts
F that, get a Waggy. :thumbsup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts