The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting the finishing touches on a 3 year restoration of a John Deere 620. We rebuilt the carburetor and it has a leak below the bowl. I think it is coming from the nozzle there in the carb. I replaced the Orings and it still seems to leak. Does the nozzle get screwed in tight or is there some adjustment in it? I plan to test my theory there tonight. The carb was rebuilt in the beginning of this adventure when the owner wanted to fix some issues and then drive it but then decided to go ahead with the restoration. So are there any Marvel-Schebler Carburetor experts here to give me some idea. I replace the O-ring in the nozzle put on a new bowl gasket and seal around the bowl nut to no avail. I am wondering if the bowl is in need of replacing but I want to be certain before spending 60 bucks on a new one. I believe it is a Marbel-Schebler DLX94.

·
1,324 Posts
I haven't worked on a 620 but if you are on Facebook find " a better tractor club" it is the two-cylinder club guys left over after the guys in charge dropped the group. If no one here replies check it out someone will know for sure. Did the bowl get dropped and have a ding in it?

Wes

·
1,324 Posts
By the way post some pics. Nothing looks or sounds better than a JD 2 cylinder under load.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reactions: Weld engineer

·
here
321 Posts
I have had to replace the bowl on my 530 because it had pin holes rusted through from the inside. The bowl was still available from deere 5 yrs ago.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The looks like it is leaking form around the nut. I have the bowl on then the brass washer and then the nut. looks like it is leaking from the nut. Im lost on this one. Thinking it may be a bad bowl. Its ready to go to the show tomorrow leaking or not. Have 5 big tractors to haul and then 3 garden tractors to haul. should be a fun weekend.

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
have you thought of using J-Bweld or sealing putty for temporary solution till after the show?

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its not leaking like it was so for the next 3 days it will be fine.

Sent from my IPhone 4s An AT&T not so 4G phone via Tapatalk.

·
here
321 Posts
Jb weld will work in a pinch if needed. Working on these old tractors can be rewarding or frustrate the snot out of you. Spent yesterday afternoon tuning Dads 1925 12-20 crossmotor Case got it starting and running like a sewing machine, not so much luck with his model a Ford car, it's not going to make to the Deer Creek parade tomorrow. I think our next project is dad's 1911 Rumely F, need to get it checked out and readied for our State Fairs 100 anniversary. Was working on my Great Grand dad's 1927 JD D, but I made the call that it won't be ready in time, as I want to do the repairs correctly this time as opposed to when I did it 20 years ago when I was 14.

Have a good week-end.

·
1,324 Posts
Jb weld will work in a pinch if needed. Working on these old tractors can be rewarding or frustrate the snot out of you. Spent yesterday afternoon tuning Dads 1925 12-20 crossmotor Case got it starting and running like a sewing machine, not so much luck with his model a Ford car, it's not going to make to the Deer Creek parade tomorrow. I think our next project is dad's 1911 Rumely F, need to get it checked out and readied for our State Fairs 100 anniversary. Was working on my Great Grand dad's 1927 JD D, but I made the call that it won't be ready in time, as I want to do the repairs correctly this time as opposed to when I did it 20 years ago when I was 14.

Have a good week-end.
The fun is working with Dad and Grand Dad. Im the same age as you and projects like this make me miss my grandfather. Lost him 3 years ago and I'm still waiting to see what happens to his collection. He was into everything but loved his Rumely's. The sound is unforgettable. Sorry I don't know which models they are but two are lightweights and one is the older c-channel frame. My best memories of him are working on some of his stuff and trying to get them ready for the 4th of July parade where I grew up.

Wes

·
236 Posts
Try a fiber gasket under the bowl nut instead of brass / copper. I have some plastic nut gaskets ono some of mine but I can't remember where they came from. Maybe backup rings to go behind an o-ring on hydraulic application. Sometimes those copper washers can be a pain when used. Might also heat copper washer cherry red and let it slowly cool. Then rub it on sand paper on both sides till flat. Be good as new again. Nozzle screws in tight, it doesn't adjust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts