The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a JD JS25 Mowmentum push mower I am having an issue with it running lean and overheating at shut down. I am going to be replacing the head gasket so I will keep you all posted on progress. I have already done the yearly service on it but I figure the Head gasket job would be a good how to for this section.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nothing to exciting at this point.. over half of the bolts where loose. it appears to me that it was just leaking out between the head and gasket. New gasket should be in this week which is all I am waiting for at this point. ( Whole 6 bucks in parts) The head cleaned up real good and was able to get it looking good with a piece of glass and sand paper. (homemade deck job) If it keeps doing the same thing deere said that it could be the head, but they do not think it was worth spending the 20 bucks on it. Since I found loose bolts Im gonna have to agree with that. Will update when I have more.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is back together, and its raining so no mowing today. It however does not steam and smoke at all. I can also tell that the auto choke feature is now working once again. (didn't really realize it wasn't) Once I can get it under some load I will know for sure.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have mowed the grass a couple times, the good news is that it no longer seems to over heat at shut down. I am going to do an oil change again since I did the head gasket. But now it wants to back fire on shut down, which I think is just due to the fact is has the auto choke and throttle. Once it gets warmed up it cuts grass great but its getting it warmed up you have to take it easy with it. If I had it to do over I think I would look at the commercial deere line or get a honda powered push mower with a choke, primer bulb and throttle lever. But hind sight is always 20 20.. This is paid for and does work. Now.. LOL

·
3,533 Posts
Most small engine has a float bowel, and any water in that bowel will affect the fuel mixture and starve the fuel and it will back-fire and shut down.
Just a thought!

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John Ill give that a look! Thanks man!

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well this dang mover is once again pulled apart. Now it is getting a new carb and some other parts associated with the auto choke feature which in my opinion is not worth a penny. Mower just dies when in talk grass or thick grass, hopefully soon it will be running right however I think the true fix for it will be a new Toro Mower with a honda engine. ( or something with now auto choke.

·
2,063 Posts
This great fuel we get now with 10% Ethanol is more like 100% problems after it sits for a month or longer. Ethanol absorbs water out of the air then the water will go to the lowest point and start corroding all the tiny parts in the carb. I just spent the day fixing mine, and your problems sounds much the same.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah i am waiting for parts now hopefully this will take care of it for a while.

Sent from my IPhone 4s An AT&T not so 4G phone via Tapatalk.

·
2,063 Posts
I purchased a honda knock-off generator that runs on propane, I've had it a couple of years without a single carb problem.

·
Bolt
109 Posts
The ethenol does not help your lean issue. Check your gaskets at the carb for any leaks.Spray carb cleaner around them when it is running. Also check your woodruff key at your flywheel. They have been known to partically sheer and knock the timing out of wack.:thinking

1 - 11 of 11 Posts