The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1999 International 4700 LP with a 8.7L and Allison 6 spd. It is used as an RV hauler, but sets often because we are full-timers in the same location. I use it occassionally just to move things around and move an rv for someone. The left rear caliper started sticking about 2 months ago. I took it to my diesel mechanic and I told him to do a complete rear brake job. He did. It sill has the problem. Specifically, I will start up and the brakes are fine. I drive for about 20 minutes and start loosing brake pressure. e.g. brake pedal goes half way to the floor before pressure stops the truck. If I pump the pedal it comes back, but the caliper is now hot from sticking and I take it home to cool it off. I work on all my vehicles but my International, but my mechanic is unavailable for 3 weeks. Any suspects of why it does this? Any remidies? Thank you.

Curtis

·
Registered
23 Posts
What consists of the “brake job”? Just rotors and pads or did he address the caliper sticking issue? Reman’d calipers are 100 bucks from the dealer I would do both. The brake booster is electric, so I would look at that, perhaps you need a new booster, new motor, or even the solenoid could be failing. I’d start by replacing the solenoid. And go from there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with @JWT4700 that the brake job was probably just pads. I'd call and ask.
The rear brake job consisted of pads, rotors, and new (not refurbished) calipers. Then I did the front brakes the same because the sticking persisted. I am also going to change the “auxiliary pump” relay. Then we will see from there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What were the results after changing the relay? Did it solve the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts