The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
cummins r3500
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to cummins and diesels in general. I just plucked a 12v from a 94 dodge 2500 p/u with 272k on the clock. THe truck did not look damaged at all, which leads me to wonder about the condition of the engine. What are things to look for/ things that should be rebuilt/ addressed before dropped in another vehicle? i am well aware of gassers an wouldnt hesitate to jump in one, but I'm a little cautious of cummins.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
look to see if the timing gears are ok, there's a dowel pin that holds the case in alignment and wiggles its way loose after a while and can be fairly catastrophic, other than that, look at the seals and head gasket

·
Registered
2 Posts
What all usually would be damaged if the pin comes out?

Also, a few questions about starting this motor...

With the motor out of a truck, what wiring would I need to fire this thing up

anyone out there kind enough to have a basic schematic??

What do you guys use to set this thing up out of a truck on a "test bench"
to fire it up. just fabricate some sort of cradle to except the stock RAM motor mounts? then use some sort of bell housing mount?

what is the best source for a rebuild kit for this '94 12V

any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The timing gears, timing cover, if it falls right the cam gear will stop and while the motor is still turning and the piston could contact the valve.

As far as wiring, the shut off silinoid, grid heater, starter, and temp and pressure sensors.

·
cummins r3500
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
woohoo! kdp did not kill me. it was wiggled out maybe an 1/8th inch from flush. i tapped it back in about 1/16th of an inch from flush and it felt like it bottomed out.
is that tst kit really worth it? i could grab a 25 cent bolt and a 10 cent washer and i already have loctite and permatex. do those seals really add up to 50 some dollars?
ok, after the kit, what now? i should probably drop the pan and check the bearings and such. what do you all think?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
if you can do it yourself it's pretty simple, so go for it, other than that yeah, check to make sure everything is solid on the engine, I'd go ahead and stud it now, what are you plannin on doing with it?

·
cummins r3500
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be dropping it in a 88 chevy 3500 square body. it will be a cruiser and some times hauler/tow vehicle.
what do you mean stud it? mains? head?

·
4,827 Posts
If you keep the engine stock, or under 400hp and under 40psi of boost, don't worry about studs on either end of the block.

Since it is out on a stand and being inspected, I'd go ahead and pull the head and have it checked out buy a shop and have 60# valve springs installed and maybe have the valves and seats touched up if need be. Pressure check it and check for cracks, flatness and if it needs to be, decked. Get a 12mm (not sure on the thread pitch) bottom tap to clean up the head bolt holes and use a new marine h/g and bolts.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to drop the pan. If the bearing wear looks even on all of the caps and plenty of material in the fillet area, you could probably roll in a new set of bearings without micing the crank. Just get some plastigage to check the bearing clearance before getting bearings, so you know if you need standard bearings, or something else.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Ask up in the vendors forum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts