The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lovely wife gave me a Bully Dog tuner for Christmas! Chris and the crew at Factory Trained Auto Repair hooked it up for me, and today.....I actually used the upper setting. Thanks gang!!!!

And to all of you out there positing and opinionating, thank you too. You are great!

·
3,051 Posts
Thanks Littlefred.

I just looked up the new BullyDog tuner features, it sounds alot nicer than the early type ones, let us know how it performs.

Harry

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had it installed last month and it is a lot of fun! It has a warm up mode, so it runs stock until the coolant hits 174, then it kicks in. If I can be at a steady accelerator setting when it happens, it's very cool to feel the extra boost and what not kick in! I really like the guage feature, but the driving coach gave me an F for the way I drive vs getting 21 mpg (I actually drive very mellow, it's a running joke with my wife and friends about how I don't do over the speed limit on the freeway).
The black beauty is bone stock except for the tuner, and as of tomorrow, new EGR. Yes, at 61k, it turned into a Stanley Steamer, so Chris Weed at F.T.A.R. is putting one in.
I'm getting the work done in my wife's little Colorado:toytruck, but WOW is it a tight fit, and two trips.

·
3,051 Posts
If your going to retain egr, best to get and install a BulletProof diesel egr cooler and at the same time replace the engine oil cooler.

Coolant flows through the engine oil cooler then directly into the egr cooler.

The coolant passages in the oil cooler tend to clog, thus starving the egr cooler of coolant flow.

This causes the egr cooler to overheat and crack, so you risk a repeat failure if you don't replace the oil cooler too.

Running any type of power tuner you should also run an egt gauge and high flow exhaust system.

Harry

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's exactly what Chris is doing. He's also doing some other bullet proofing for longevity.
The beast should be back this afternoon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts