The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
TDG MAFIA #101
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got back from the dealership after my truck quit me. The way the truck was acting before it finally died (and wouldn't start back up), I just thought that the CPS went out. Got it towed to the dealership and after looking it over they told me that I had an aftermarket fuel pump in it, and it was sending too much amperage to my fuse box, and while it was doing that, it fried my fuse box. It didn't pop the fuse, it just burnt it up really bad. I am now broke. Thought I might post this incase someone was thinking about buying an aftermarket fuel pump. I did not find out what brand the pump was. Has anyone else heard of this?:barf: :eek:mg

·
6,337 Posts
LOL... sounds like a cop-out... If the system is installed right then there should be no issues. Find out what kind of pump it is... There are very few pumps that will work for the 7.3's...

·
Dually Club member #56
36 Posts
:iagree
I'm am no expert by any means, but that doesn't make much sense, from a general electrical stand-point. That is what a fues is for, to protect things. I have ran into several diferent issues that the dealership has tried to make up some lame excuse, when they thought the owner didnt' know any different. - Ol Red

·
Diesel Pro
899 Posts
Ok correct me if Im wrong but how the F*** does a fuel pump send power to the fuse pannel. Maby it was drawing to much from a short or something but thats what the fuse is for so it pops.

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
I know there have been problems with the fuse panel. My X had an issue where the instrument cluster and radio and heater would go dead, on and off a few times. I took it to the dealer and they said there have been problems with the fuse panels and they replaced mine under warranty (extended that I bought). Then no problems since. So I would be skeptical about the fuel pump issue. If the aftermarket pump was "pulling" to much current then the fuse would blow. No if someone had installed the wrong fuse or bypassed the fuse with the old aluminum foil trick, then that could fry the box. But I am guessing the box was defective, IMHO.

·
TDG MAFIA #101
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I wanted to look at it before they put a new pump on, and the fuse wasnt broke, but it was originally yellow but now its black. I just had them replace the fuel pump and somehow "jab" a fuse in there so it would stay long enough for me to get it back to the school so I can put the new fuse box in it when it gets here. After the fuse burnt up it melted the place where it goes opened up and made it hard for a fuse to stay in. I will try to figure out what kind of pump it was. The tech said that it must have been an aftermarket one because the tool he uses to take them off wouldn't fit, he had to cut one of his tools up to get it off.

·
6,337 Posts
There is only two other pumps that fit in the stock location... The Boceh and Walbro... both would delete the factory connections and make it a clamp type install... Still calling BS on this one...

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
From the way the dealership told you about the "aftermarket" injectors to the fuel pump issue, I think they're giving you the run around with this truck. Time to find a new shop IMO.

·
TDG MAFIA #101
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dealership I bought the truck from and the dealer I took the truck yesterday are different shops. The one I took it too yesterday is down here where I go to school and the other one is up around where I live.

Ohh and I had a question. In class one time I helped replace an in tank fuel pump, and we either had to take the bed off or drop the tank. We took the bed off. The tech yesterday didn't have to do either. Would this answer your question CSIPSD.

·
TDG MAFIA #101
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was just wondering, cuz I haven't changed one on a Powrestroke myself yet. I am down at school and didn't have any tools, and like I said I was suprised because I thought I was going to get my truck to the dealership and have a CPS put on for free but that wasn't the case. And talking about that, the dealer ran my vin number and told me that my truck must have already had a CPS put in it, because there is no longer a recall for that on my truck.

·
Diesel Pro
899 Posts
Well check the CPS you have in your truck If its black they are required to replace it weather the computer says its had one or not. If its grey then its already got the updated one. The Fuel pump is in the frame on the drivers side under the drivers door on the inside of the frame.

·
TDG MAFIA #101
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pulled it into the shop last night at school (I got the chance to get it into the school shop now). We all looked at the fuse box and the burnt fuse that came out of it. We all decided that by the way the fuse looked, it had kind of "wiggled" lose and was not making good contact. (This is would explain why the truck was actiing like it was getting fuel and then it wouldn't, then it would....) The way the ford tech put the fuse in (he had to bend the blades a little for it to make good contact) the fuse is in there solid and won't move. So I think I am just going to keep a close eye on it, and if the fuse starts to wiggle lose again, I will bend the blades on a new fuse and stick it in. We don't think there is enough damage to the box to need replacing, and the way I look at it, a few fuses are alot cheaper than a new fuse box. Thanks for writing in everyone, and sorry the post is so long.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
have you tryed to bend the tab that contact the fuse inward the tabs in the fuse box so that it would make better contact with the fuse?

·
TDG MAFIA #101
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, my teacher said something about that, about taking just a very slim screwdriver in there and somehow do that, but he said that it looked to him like the inside (where the fuse plugs in) had been spereated and he didn't think he could get them to go back together. What is your advise for getting them (inside tabs) to go back together.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
A REAL SMALL PIC or o-ring tool maybe a good sharp test light probe just something that you can get in there. the only other thing i might try (last resort ) is take the correct amp fuse and maybe put a little solider on one or both of the blades then file em down to the correct thickness . if the tangs inside are to wide this would increse the width of the fuse so it would seat and get a good contact. i would make a couple for spares too just my .02 steve

·
TDG MAFIA #101
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the input guys.

·
TDG MAFIA #101
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah thats what I was going to do, but the service advisor at ford told me that it had to have the fuse box specifically for my truck. I thought to myself that it didn't sound right seeing as it would take forever for ford to build a truck if every truck had to have a specific fuse box. I just thought that all the trucks got the same box and just the fuses were put in to match what the truck had on it. Can someone tell me if I'm wrong?

·
TDG Mafia #95
1,071 Posts
Thats right. Even the gas and diesel trucks have the same fuse box, but they either leave holes open, or they control something else. I think someone needs to admit that ford tech to AA of NA

1 - 20 of 29 Posts