The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just installed a 6 inch procomp lift kit..... im getting a really bad vibration... iam pretty sure its from the driveshaft.... is there any spacer out there to compensensate for the lift.. i know some companys have a spacer for a 2 inch lift kit.. why not the procomp lift ? where could i get one? has anyone had this problem? lift looks great but iam afraid to drive it with this nasty vibration.. they dont metiion anything in the directions

·
1,386 Posts
I'm not familiar with lifts but when I lowered my last truck I had a bad vibration. I had to put shims under the leaf srings to change the pinion angle back to the stock angle. Did your kit come with anything that would change the pinion angle?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Was a carrier bearing shim installed?

·
571 Posts
With a 6" lift you definetly need a carrier bearing shim. Do some searching around. One of the companies has a stacked shim kit so you can add or subtract shims in 1/4" increments. That way you can get it dialed in perfectly.
I also had to add a 3deg axle shim in my setup to completetly get rid of the acceleration vibe.
Also check your pinion angle. Make sure the blocks weren't put in backwards causing your pinion angle to be off.

·
164 Posts
FIREBALL said:
With a 6" lift you definetly need a carrier bearing shim. Do some searching around. One of the companies has a stacked shim kit so you can add or subtract shims in 1/4" increments. That way you can get it dialed in perfectly.
I also had to add a 3deg axle shim in my setup to completetly get rid of the acceleration vibe.
Also check your pinion angle. Make sure the blocks weren't put in backwards causing your pinion angle to be off.
:iagree That's probably all you need to know right there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there were no blocks just the rear leaf springs were replaced... i took out the old springs and put the new ones in same way.. the longer side of the spring in the back of the truck... there was no carriar bearing spacers nor did it say anything i nthe instructions. i guess iall have to call procomp monday

·
2,951 Posts
Their should have been a carrier bearing spacer with the kit. My kit came with one but I still had a vibration so I had a one piece drive shaft made. All the vibration is gone even on take off. Hope this helps!

Lonnie

·
106 Posts
I would start with a carrier bearing shim first, before you go with a new drive shaft.

BG

·
shes smart!
161 Posts
My shims came with my lift, (Its a procomp) and they told me for every inch of lift you have you should have 1/4 of an inch shim. I would give procomp a call and see if they can get you one!

·
2,951 Posts
blakenissan07 said:
around how much did that cost to have one made... did you have to do the same for the front?
It was around $200 for just the rear. You just need to get the rear done, you will really notice the vibration when you start adding power to your truck. If I stomped on it hard at a light it would push the rubber out of the carrier:damnit .

Lonnie

·
2,951 Posts
EZDUZIT said:
That looks like a good set up!!!!!!! for the guys that have long beds and can't do the one piece drive shaft I would try this one,it looks like a well made kit. Thanks EZDUZIT:Thumbup:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
after you installed the spacer it was all good? i tend to hit the gas hard.. have the banks 6 gun tuner so iam always punching that pedal... that vibration must go away.. thanks for everyones help!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i called procomp today they told me i need traction bars.. they say thats axle hop on accleration.... the vbiration from the axle would happen at hwy speeds wich i prolly have too just havent had it over 40 yet

·
571 Posts
That guy should be fired. When you lift a truck you change the driveline angles. The driveline angles are set specifically for each vehicle depending on pinion angle, driveline length, carrier bearing location amoung other factors. When you lift your truck it changes all of that and for all the components to be aligned properly you have to make adjustments to keep the u-joints at their proper operating angles.
Yes, when you accelerate the rear pinion is going to rock upwards but you shouldn't need a traction bar to eliminate the viberation if the rest of your driveline system is aligned properly.
A traction bar is most useful when you have "wheel hop" caused by the rotation of the axle folloed by the breaking loose of the tires in rapid succession.
Hope that makes since...
Get the shims. I built my own spacer but the shims are nice so you can adjust them exactly.

·
TDG Single Club Member#14
1,086 Posts
Yeah that is what pro comp says on all their kits but i installed it anyways and alas the vibration went away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts