The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there much advantage in running a 6.7 instead of a 5.9? Here is what I have in mind use a 6.7 short block a 24V head a 12V timing case and cam gear a P7100 pump and a set of 8X12 injectors. Will the 6.7 work better than a 5.9? That is not all the parts but you sort of get the picture.

·
gone fishin!
2,833 Posts
any time you increase displacement you are gona increase you power output...... the question is will the head and bottom end be able to keep up?

·
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never gave much thought to if a 6.7 bottom end would be strong enough?

I would think it would be?

·
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right now I am still collecting parts. Here is what I have and what I think I want.

Have
6.7 short block
24 V head
57/65 turbo for now
P-pump benched at 380 cc
8X12 injectors set for a p pump
I have sent the cam out to be ground. 180/210
This will be going in my 94 with a NV4500

Target HP 500, I want something easy to drive on the street and still tow.

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
It may have been an isolated incident but there's near me that has been through three cranks and pushes just shy of 500 on the rollers.

·
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did Cummins change the way they are making the cranks or the material they are made from?

I did hear they had gone to powder metal tech for manufacturing their rods.

·
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I have the 6.7 disassembled and the timing cover from a 12V does not fit, I can modify it to fit but the case also hits a boss on the side of the enging that a 12V does not have. Looks like time to get out the grinder.

·
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, would I be better off with 366 as a single or use the 57/65 for a secondary and say 472 under it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts