The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a K&N open element filter system on my truck and I have been reading some different post and after talking to ted @ ID it seems that the K&N might cause the bearings in the turbo to prematurely wearout and fail, Is this true?:shrug: I was talking to ted and he recommended the AFE air filter setup, do most of you guys run this filter setup, and is it really worth it? I have attached a pic of the new filter I'm considering.

:thanks:

Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
thier are only 2 filters i would ever put on my own 6.0 #1 afe progaurd7 #2 stock donaldson. the pic looks like the afe filter good choice, but you might want to look at the filter media, the progaurd7 is a gold not blue.:Thumbup:

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:thanks: diesel71 I will deffinitly look into doing the proguard 7 instead of the standard blue filter.

:Thumbup:

Nick

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found this AFE stage 2 kit which comes with the progaurd 7 filter. this looks like the best one out there. do yall think the box will be restrictive? I know stupid question but I have to ask :sly:

Does anyone know if this filter works with a banks technicooler?

:thanks:

Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
looks awsome:Thumbup: not sure if you will have any problemes with the banks. I put a afe stage 1 on a truck with banks 6-gun, fit was great! when the k&n first came out i seen alot of trucks with a check engine light. the oil in the filter would get sucked onto the mas air flow sensor and contaminate it. most of them i fixed by removing the maf and cleaned the sensor. not knocking k&n, thats just what i have seen. I ran k&n on my race car for years,untill afe made one to fit it :roflmao: :roflmao:

·
Registered
424 Posts
I ran K/N on the 7.3's with no dusting problems, and I run off-road 40% of the time. I really think those past dusting issues w/ K/N stemmed from improper filter installation and warped airbox lids, not necessarily the filter itself. IMO, I really don't see how dirt can pass thru any type media that is properly oiled and serviced. I run Airaid now. The stock filter is excellent, but the way the stock airbox seals sucks. I am usually more concerned over the mechanics of how the filter seals than what type/brand filter it is. I am around a lot of equipment, you would be surprised at how many manufactures have a poor intake design. I have also seen a lot of different type filters; gauze, foam, or combo of both and have never seen one pass dust, regardless of brand, even w/ the airbox completely full of dirt.

·
342 Posts
Yeah, what he ^^^said!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had a K&N in my 7.3L for 100,000 miles. No problems. But I do not live in a dusty climate. I did reoil the element regularly.

I have an AFE II for my 6.0L on the shelf. Throws check engine codes. AFE was supposed to fix this last January. I still have not been sent the repair parts. I check monthly with AFE to make sure I am still on the list. Loosing patience.

Red

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow Redneckmba, thats some good info I'm glad someone ran the K&N and could verify that no problems arose. That info just saved me some money !!!

:Thumbup: :thanks:

Nick

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I run K&N with no probs!!

57k and going strong!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is a old thread , but from what I have seen every truck that came into my buddys diesel shop with a K&N they are junk. Usable maybe if you only drove in town or a dust free road , but otherwise they suck dirt . They allow more air to pass through is their only claim to supposedly give more power , thus fine particles get through. Look in the intake manifold or turbo inlet pipe and it is full of oily dirt. Turbo's wear out quick, engines are worn out can't start cause low compression . That filter has no magic to give more power , just allows more air to pass through and allows dirt to get by. If I was to be buying a used gas or diesel vehicle and seen that filter on the engine I wouldn't touch it for nothing .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts