The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,045 Posts
I believe on some of the veeery early trucks it could still be a veeery small problem, but when you get into the later models the numbers become insignificant to none
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,158 Posts
Yeah the only thing you really need to worry about on the 24v trucks, is the 53 block which really won't affect you much. I've only heard of a few cases of the 53 block actually cracking.
 

·
Boost Junkie
Joined
·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cajuncummins said:
I believe on some of the veeery early trucks it could still be a veeery small problem, but when you get into the later models the numbers become insignificant to none
I have a 99 should i be concered about the KDP?
 

·
Boost Junkie
Joined
·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HCCUMMINSSMOKE said:
just see if it is a 53 block

Nathaniel
I know that. I have had my truck for quite sometime now and i am not worried about that. Someone asked me if the KDP was a issue on the 24valves and i told them no. It was only a issue on 12 valve trucks. But now i have one person saying it is somewhat of a issue on the ealier trucks. And i have a 99 which is the first year for the 24 valve. with the exception of the 98.5
 

·
2nd Gen Guru
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
91rangerturbo said:
I have a 99 should i be concered about the KDP?
I would check... The latest one I heard of was a 2001 (I think??)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,045 Posts
alrite, here's the deal, when Cummins came out with the redesigned engine they took the kdp into account and made timing covers that held it in place,


BUT depending on where the engine was assembled it could have the old cover or the new one, so that;s why it;s more likely (though still not very) to have it on an older model, because when the 12v was discontiunued there were probably still some covers left and people unwittingly put them on the engines, and the covers could have just lain around until something happened, like a shortage or a late shipment or whatever, even as late as like 01 apparently, but the chances are still pretty slim
 

·
Boost Junkie
Joined
·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cajuncummins said:
alrite, here's the deal, when Cummins came out with the redesigned engine they took the kdp into account and made timing covers that held it in place,


BUT depending on where the engine was assembled it could have the old cover or the new one, so that;s why it;s more likely (though still not very) to have it on an older model, because when the 12v was discontiunued there were probably still some covers left and people unwittingly put them on the engines, and the covers could have just lain around until something happened, like a shortage or a late shipment or whatever, even as late as like 01 apparently, but the chances are still pretty slim
Thanks that's the answer i was looking for. Now is there a way to tell a difference between the covers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,045 Posts
not without taking it out, sorry man, but I wouldn't worry about it, those that have them are sorta freaks of circumstance, and don't misunderstand, when I said left lying around, I meant those that weren't, like disposed of, you know? pure lagniappe
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top