The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok long story so bear with me. 5 months ago I installed a new south bend dual disc...the smaller 3250 with organic clutch faceings. The instructions said to take a shim from behind the pivot ball on the passenger side of the bell housing. Ok did that. Right away it was hard to shift....hard to get in any gear and was fairly grabby. Fast forward 2 months...nothing has improved with shifting and selecting a gear, and still slightly grabbier than I expected but not unbearable. Then it blew something up in either the master or slave cylinder (remember this is the smallest pressure plate and is supposed to have stock pedal feel.....it doesn't). I thought that it may have just been getting tired at 115k so I replaced it with the stock dodge part. Shifting and gear selection stayed the same. Ok about a week ago it blew up agian...this time it blew the seal up in the pressure line from master cylinder to slave cylinder. This time I replaced it with the upgraded part from PDR. Gear selection and such has not changed much but has improved slightly after I tweaked on it.

My question is has anybody had this problem after installing a dual disc as far as picking gears from a dead stop...I've heard that reverse is usually tough but all of my gears are that way. I surley can't afford to keep replacing parts at 200 something dollars a pop.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I think they recommend the HD hydraulics for the dual discs, but not sure :shrug: Should like it isn't disengaging the clutch all the way though.

·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well they say you can run the stock setup with the dual disc that I have because the pressure plate is not very heavy. I also believe that the clutch is not disengaging all the way...could it have something to do with the shim under the pivot ball? I really don't wanna drop the tranny agian until I have a good reason too. I have talked to several people who have installed them....some removed the shim some didn't but none of them are having the trouble that I am.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts