The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 08 F450 CC, 4x4, DRW with cat/dpf delete, 5" magnaflow, banks CAI and an SCT tuner. Driving the truck around town is fine but as soon as I start pulling my 7k lb work trailer at 70-75mph down the highway I will blow P0088 code after 40 minutes or so. This first happened using the extreme tune so I put in the performance tune and all was fine. Now I continue to pull this code. And when it goes, the engine goes into some kind of default/detune mode. I lose my cruise control and the truck will not go over 63 MPH. The turbo pressure will not go over 1/2 the gauge when in this mode. If I turn it off and restart it's ok again for about 10 minutes and it goes back into the limp mode. Put it into tow mode and the same thing...

P0088 is fuel system rail pressure-too high.

Any ideas? Would a Spartan tuner fix this issue or does it need to go to the shop?

BTW I got nearly zero increase in fuel mileage with this setup on any tune. Quite a disappointment.

·
91 Posts
I've got a spartan & seen that many times. I have had my FRP sensor replaced & still get the code thrown, although mine only happens when the OS temperature is >75ish. I have a FASS on the way & I'm hoping that this will fix my problem. I've logged mine & it appears im running out of fuel/ my fuel pump isn't up to spec. If this is indeed my problem, the FASS should fix it. I wouldn't say that your tune is the issue or that a spartan would fix it just yet, others are seeing this code too.

Have you been able to tell if it happens only during certain temps? & are you going to pass when it happens?

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't pulled with it too much yet as I just bought it last fall at the end of our roofing season. I used it once stock pulling a 12k lb trailer on a 500 mile round trip in heat going 75 mph and had no problem. Then did the add ons and immediately started pulling the 0088 code. It does seem like it happens when cruising 70-75 up a grade and then it goes limp. If you restart it, it goes back to normal, but only for 5-10 minutes, then limps again.

Speed may make this worse. If I drive 60-65 the turbo boost is at the halfway point. When I go 70-75 it goes up to 3/4 plus on the gauge and then pegs it if climbing a hill. And the mileage goes down more then 10% with the speed increase. The 4.88 rear end is lower then I need for my tow load.

I did all of this to improve my mileage, but I haven't seen much of an increase. This is an everyday work truck that I must depend on. Im about ready to put it back to stock.......

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
Shouldnt be a pump problem. If the Rail pressure is too high your getting enough fuel. Have you tried the fuel rail press sensor. I see you did mmayo. Wierd that your still getting it.

·
Chirpin Tires...
1,402 Posts

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
Makes sence. Need and accumulator system.LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts