The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, not a car hauler, but a golf car hauler!

Trying to weigh the pros and cons of current equipment, vs buying different equipment, vs what equipment I should buy.

Current Tow Vehicle:
2000 F350 PSD 6 Spd 4.10 gears. Truck weighs just short of 8K and GCWR is 20,000. So you mean to tell me that a toyota tundra pulls the same 12K~? WTF!?!? Maybe I'll just go to half-tons now....Seriously, is there any way to up the GCWR legally?

Currently can haul 8 carts with present equipment, would love to haul 12 or more.

Carts are just short of 900lbs, 48" Wide, and 8.5 Feet long for reference.

Dumb question, but are there any good pullers PRE-EMISSIONS that are better than others? Ford 6.0 with torqueshift, Dodge 5.9 with their 5 spd automatic I believe, or Duramax 6.6 with allison.

I am not married to any brand as I believe they are all pertty good and have their strengths/weaknesses. But lets not get too caught up with that.

Lets get caught up wtih trailers! I need something that can be pulled by a 1-ton (because I don't want to shell out 60K for an f450). A double deck trailer would be nice, such as the mini 5 by kaufman, but they aren't wide enough to accomodate golf carts 2-wide (or 96").

Lets get the ball rolling on this! I need some help! :eek:)

·
378 Posts
Local or long haul?

·
1,836 Posts
Well you need a 98 to row them up for and aft, to leave 2 in between to tie down.

I saw a possum coming out of the auction with 3 large pu on top and a towncar under. At the time I thought that the trailer was very light or he was counting on not seeing a DOT. If it was not overweight then a trailer rail would be the thing for you, wouldn't even have to pull the coupler to load the bottom with golf carts.

One of the local dealers loads over the side aginst a side board with carpet on it on a deck over GN. Looks about 38 ft. don't think that I want to carry the ramps to load that way though

keydl

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only if the 53' wedge weighs 1000lbs :eek:) Thats why I'm complaining about the GCWR on the truck! You mean to tell me that this F350 with a 7.3 diesel pulls the same as today's 1/2 ton trucks? Is there any way to raise the GCWR on my truck? What can I do? Do I have to upgrade to a lesser truck to pull more weight??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts