The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a king quad by suzuki how do you guys like them?

·
2,035 Posts
One thing I noticed about them when they first started hitting the bogs is that the limiter stops the motor before it can rev up real high. Almost seemed like they would just bog down when they would slap on those big tires and hit some mud. I hear they have that limiter problem fixed now.

The ground clearance is fairly low stock and you don’t get a whole lot with a lift and bigger tires. The only company that I know for sure right now making a lift for that bike is Extreme Products.

I had also heard problems that a lot of them had real weak low ends and a stutter from the lot. There is a fix for that now though.

They seem to be fairly strong bikes, but not set up properly for mud riding, which is all I do. There are several bikes out there that might not be quite as strong, but have stronger low ends, which is where I like the power to be.

A lot of people say the King Quad is like a stronger Grizzly, but I personally have had the opportunity to run on the dynometer with a couple of King Quads and I have yet to see one put up more power than my Grizzly.

·
793 Posts
Seems like a good solid quad to me, good friend of mine has a 99 KQ and has been a reliable quad until recently, but with over 3000 miles of seriously abusive riding that is expected. When I purchased my quad it was between the KQ and the Sportsman I obviously chose the Sportsman but liked the KQ also. I think if thats what you like go for it, try to get the guy to get ya a deal on tires as the stockers suck. Good luck with your purchase and let us know what you decide.

·
GOT BEER?
164 Posts
I have no first hand experience, but I have heard that the reverse gear breaks under extreme conditions.

·
2,035 Posts
It does...and doesn't really take that extreme of a condition...low range has some problems too.

·
793 Posts
I frequent highlifter.com and general meeting up with people on trails and asking how they like the quads their riding, never heard of these problems. Are these personal experience people you know or just he said she said. The low end power problems I've heard, but seems more like some people just always want more. My 500 isn't the quickest but will turn my 28s in the worst goo or up the biggest hill and fits my needs, but maybe wouldn't be enough for others.

Maybe you should go to highlifter.com and ask over there about problems people are experiencing with their KQs', I know that sometimes the best answers come from people that own what your looking at.

·
2,035 Posts
I frequent HL quite a bit myself. Been on there for years. I also own www.atvmudmania.com. I have had the opportunity to test many quads and see what all of them are capable of in the mud.

What is your name on HL forum?

·
4,318 Posts
The guy I ride with has a 04 or 05 with the 700 efi. He has had a few recalls and issues, but it starts up nice. Not as fast as what we thought riding it before he bought it. Its not a machine we get too wet anymore. It gets fussy wet!

·
793 Posts
My username is Stroked at highlifter but I mainly just lurk over there been a long time since posting anything. I just know that a lot of quads get bad names by people that don't have first hand experience. Afterall I own a Polaris I know all too well about how horrible they are, I hear it everytime I talk to someone on the trail riding another make.
As far as the keeping a belt quad out of water, if they make a Dayco belt for the KQ that should fix that, I put the Dayco on mine and have never had problems with water.

·
4,318 Posts
Im sorry if I was misunderstood above, we have never had water issues with his belt. It has all been electrical.

·
2,035 Posts
Fortunately enough I don't have to go out and buy a bike in the situation I am in because with the amount of riding and testing we do we see the problems. Honestly I have no beef with Polaris at all. We have done a lot of testing on them and even though they have recieved a bad rap they have been nothing short of amazing with us. We have had a few that "blew up" on us though.

We have yet to have a good experience with a KQ when the going got rough, but on the trails they perform pretty good.

As far as my opinion on Dayco...we have tried them on many bikes. They seem to hold descent on the Polaris, but that is the only one. On the grizz, AC, kawi, etc...they blow up faster than the stock...most of the time a lot faster. I would never suggest putting a Dayco on anything, but a Polaris and I would be hesitant about that too.

·
793 Posts
:hijacked: Sounds like you get to have some fun, checked out your site not bad at all looks kinda firmilliar.
Never heard of the problems with the belts before glad mine seems to be holding up, but I still have the brand new original sitting in the shed. So what do you think about the clutch kits is it worth the money or is it just gonna expose a weak spot like say my stock axles spinning my 28s. I don't do much mud bog riding compared to what your site shows but I do a lot of extreme trail riding, hills rocks, and clay which is thicker than snot. Was thinking it might help but was defenitely worried about exposing my axles.

·
2,035 Posts
Honestly the clutch mods can be a double-edged sword sometimes. If they are installed properly they can be a life-saver when turning big tires.

Just for example when I got my grizz bone stock it had trouble pulling wheelies. After installing the EPI clutch kit I didn't have a probelm at all pulling wheelies with ease with 29.5" Outlaws on the bike.

If the kit is installed wrong it can be a pain in the butt and cause nothing but problems. I met a guy that tried to install it on his own in his grizz and ended up blowing his tranny up costing him over 1k in damage.

There are some differences in the kits though. The Suzuki and Yamaha have a wet clutch whereas the Kawi and Polaris do not. The suzuki and Yamaha are harder to install because of this, but because of the wet clutch they are usually less likely to slip under a severe load because of the constant belt tension.

Now, the Heelclicker clutch kit for the Polaris' is just straight up awesome. I have a buddy that has a 500ho with this kit and with the proper adjustment his bike doesn't struggle turning 29.5" Outlaws in anything...I was completely amazed at that kit. It does require a little more adjustment than the EPI kit, but if I put a kit on a Polaris it's going to be a Heelclicker without a doubt.

Now, you have two options on the bikes with the wet clutches. You can get the full clutch kit or just the primary kit. The full kit is going to be the best bet if using oversized tires, pulling big loads, mud riding, climbing, etc...The primary clutch kit is good for anyone that wants to run less aggressive tires but would like a little more throttle response and so forth. I have tried both and decided which one was right for me. My muddin' grizz has the full EPI kit while the non-muddin' grizz has just the primary spring kit.

Hope you can make sense of some of this rambling I have done and sorry for going on so long...

·
793 Posts
That actually does help thanks.

·
2,035 Posts
No problem.

Any time you wonder about ATV's or products out there on the market drop me a line. Where I am at I have the luxury of getting to see and test a lot of things out there and see what they are really capable of doing. I get to see which products last and which ones don't. I also get a pretty good bearing on what all these bikes out there excell at.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts