The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck makes a knocking/tapping noise on take off only when its warm and not everytime. Has anyone else had this issue or know what might cause my truck to do this? Any help would be great.

Thanks!

·
Let it all Ride
1,316 Posts
A lot of trucks have something similar to this. Mine does it up to about 1700 RPM. The dealer told me it's a normal sound and not to worry about it.
Does yours make the sound linear through the RPM's?

·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it might but if so no real noticable. But mine is like yours, its loud at times around 1700 to 1800 rpms and not all the time. I took it to my friend at the dealer ship and he said that its normal. He told me that first time he heard it, he thought it was rockers and replaced them. The sound never went away and said that ford told him it was a normal noise and that some trucks are louder than others at times.

·
Let it all Ride
1,316 Posts
Ya know, I hate hearing that noises like this are normal. Guess just keep on rolling huh?

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Mine does it too. Very unsettling. Really like the chassis, but the 6.4 diesel leaves a bit to be desired.

·
80 Posts
We hear alot of sounds that were not heard before due to how quiet the regular diesel engine noise is now. I Believe this to be true. When standing close to a 2007 and below on any brand you can hardly hear people talk when standing next to a diesel engine at idle, let alone an engine tick or other noises.

·
53 Posts
I remember a similar thread (threads) regarding this tick from years ago. Some described it as an "arcing" sound like a bad spark plug wire on a gas motor, but independent of engine rpm.

Some guys said it was even worse, or only happened right after an oil change but would clean up after a couple of hundred miles.

Can't say I've I've ever heard it from mine. Regardless, it doesn't sound like it affects the reliability/longevity of the engines at all.

Tim

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Mine sounds like a bad valve tap or rocker getting ready to let go. My '07 GMC DMAX doesn't make those sounds.

·
80 Posts
:bdh A chevy 2500 Duramax??, pulled up next to me this morning and my window was down, "I'm just sayin" How could anyone hear a "clicking" noise or anyothjer "normal" diesel engine noises over all that clatter. In other words there may have been lots of sounds under all the loud noise all the time untill they quieted down the eng in 2008. :bdh

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
I currently own 4 diesel powered trucks of different makes and several diesel powered farm tractors, haybines, etc.
I have never heard a diesel that sounded as weird as the 6.4L. All other diesels I own have a steady diesel clatter and a distinct, but consistent snort when you jump on them. The 6.4L seems to change the degree to which it clatters and taps through the rpm range that sounds unusual and not very pleasing to the ear, even though as Ford says it may be "perfectly normal".
I hate to say it on a Ford forum, but my '07 DMAX is so much nicer than my 6.4L, it's not even a contest.
Now re the rest of the truck, the Ford has some advantages. I'm not here to hurt anyone's feelings. Ford makes a nice truck. I own one. Hopefully the new 6.7L is better than the 6.4L and the 6L.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
I have to wonder if it is valve train or injector noise? I however have never rode in or drove a 6.4L That being said I went from a 01 24V Cummins where you could not hear yourself think let alone talk with your passengers to a 6.7L Cummins and it is quite amazing how they have quieted them down to the point that normal things sound like they are problems. With the 6.4L being a few years old now you would tend to think if there were problems they would have shown them selves by now.

Reactions: quick83

·
Let it all Ride
1,316 Posts
I currently own 4 diesel powered trucks of different makes and several diesel powered farm tractors, haybines, etc.
I have never heard a diesel that sounded as weird as the 6.4L. All other diesels I own have a steady diesel clatter and a distinct, but consistent snort when you jump on them. The 6.4L seems to change the degree to which it clatters and taps through the rpm range that sounds unusual and not very pleasing to the ear, even though as Ford says it may be "perfectly normal".
I hate to say it on a Ford forum, but my '07 DMAX is so much nicer than my 6.4L, it's not even a contest.
Now re the rest of the truck, the Ford has some advantages. I'm not here to hurt anyone's feelings. Ford makes a nice truck. I own one. Hopefully the new 6.7L is better than the 6.4L and the 6L.
In my opinion in stock form, the 6.7 is far superior to the 6.4 and 6.0. Tuned, the 6.4 is more powerful and reliable than the 6.7 or the 6.0. Our company decided to put a Spartan on a 30k mile truck in 09, that said truck now has 216,xxx miles on it with not a single problem besides maintenance parts.
But in regard to sound, I have to agree, I am not a fan of the 6.4. That being said, I think a dmax sound like dog crap too, sounds like the fan is running wide open at all times.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
In my opinion in stock form, the 6.7 is far superior to the 6.4 and 6.0. Tuned, the 6.4 is more powerful and reliable than the 6.7 or the 6.0. Our company decided to put a Spartan on a 30k mile truck in 09, that said truck now has 216,xxx miles on it with not a single problem besides maintenance parts.
But in regard to sound, I have to agree, I am not a fan of the 6.4. That being said, I think a dmax sound like dog crap too, sounds like the fan is running wide open at all times.
I would say just the opposite. I like the dmax snort way better than the 6.4L which sounds uneven, unpredictable and erratic. DMAX sounds consistent-I don't hear any fan sound at all, but my 6.4L fan kicks in it really sounds bad. . I own and operate BOTH trucks side by sidwhen e, frequently both trucks in the same day and have been for quite a while so I can speak from real-life experience. The 6.4L sounds like it's broken. It was a band aid engine for Ford on top of the 6L debacle. There's a very good reason it only had a 2-3 year run and I'm stuck with mine. I bet the 6.7L is a good diesel, but I don't want to be a guinea pig.
You know it's bad when the Ford dealers I bring the truck to for repairs encourage me to "extend the warranty" and openly admit the 6.4L was a "bad engine". Never heard that about an LBZ.

·
Let it all Ride
1,316 Posts
I would say just the opposite. I like the dmax snort way better than the 6.4L which sounds uneven, unpredictable and erratic. DMAX sounds consistent-I don't hear any fan sound at all, but my 6.4L fan kicks in it really sounds bad. . I own and operate BOTH trucks side by sidwhen e, frequently both trucks in the same day and have been for quite a while so I can speak from real-life experience. The 6.4L sounds like it's broken. It was a band aid engine for Ford on top of the 6L debacle. There's a very good reason it only had a 2-3 year run and I'm stuck with mine. I bet the 6.7L is a good diesel, but I don't want to be a guinea pig.
You know it's bad when the Ford dealers I bring the truck to for repairs encourage me to "extend the warranty" and openly admit the 6.4L was a "bad engine". Never heard that about an LBZ.
I would hope you’re not naive enough to believe this band aid stuff people rattle on about. I think you probably know well enough the reason that the 6.4 is no longer in a Ford is because the contract disputes with International. The 6.4 is still being put into International trucks, UPS and FedEx trucks. Working applications I might add. The reality of things are the 6.4 was overbuilt. Hence the reason these trucks are capable of producing and holding nearly 600 HP on a stock fuel system.
As far as real life experience, I help manage a fleet of over 1,000 Powerstroke diesels, many of them being 6.4’s (About 660 actually). and only 2 have had catastrophic failure, both of which over 150k miles. All of ours are beat to snot in the oilfield often idling 10 hours a day.
I understand your frustration as you haven’t had good experience with yours. But there’s a reason you have a Ford and the reality of it is Gm/Duramax doesn’t build a truck capable of doing the work you need it to.
As far as the dealers talking about the repairs on a 6.4….Of course they complain about it. They only see trucks with a problem. Nobody brings there truck to the dealer for a random status checkup. I have a good friend that is a diesel mechanic that works for GM, know what he says about the Duramax? Yeah, he says it’s aweful and actually drives a 2010 Ram with a 6.7 Cummins. And just FYI, ANY DEALER regardless of the brand, will try to get you to buy an extended warranty. They make their money on SALES AND SERVICE.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts