The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rollin' Coal
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking about heading out there to open up a boat shop / storage yard. anyone living out there can you shead some light on this for me? whats the winters like as far as boating and whats the weather like?
thanks

·
Rollin' Coal
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
noone know anything about boats in texas, or is it a "stay outta my state calli boy!!!"?

·
TDG MAFIA
1,270 Posts
I live close the lake conroe. During the winter it get in the 30s some times in the 20s.
There are a ton of boat shops/ storage shops off of 105 and 1097 you would have lots of competition around this area. Lake Livingston is just north of here and gets just as busy during the summer if not more than Lake conroe. The fishing at both are great and there are a ton of people that go out there just to tube.

·
Rollin' Coal
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live close the lake conroe. During the winter it get in the 30s some times in the 20s.
There are a ton of boat shops/ storage shops off of 105 and 1097 you would have lots of competition around this area. Lake Livingston is just north of here and gets just as busy during the summer if not more than Lake conroe. The fishing at both are great and there are a ton of people that go out there just to tube.
i heard all the shops suck out there and they dont do hi performance stuff?

·
5,365 Posts
lake conroe isnt that big...but there are still some pretty good performance boats
on it and theres plenty of shops around <as Ken says>.

youll be the new guy on the block...be prepared to take a few year to get your
name circulated and known...and dont mess up or youll be labeled TOO !

as a californian youll need to leave your attitude behind if you wanna be successful
in texas...no one here will be too interested in hearing how wonderful you were in
california.

lake travis is probably were you wanna be...except its down over 50 feet this year.

·
Rollin' Coal
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lake conroe isnt that big...but there are still some pretty good performance boats
on it and theres plenty of shops around <as Ken says>.

youll be the new guy on the block...be prepared to take a few year to get your
name circulated and known...and dont mess up or youll be labeled TOO !

as a californian youll need to leave your attitude behind if you wanna be successful
in texas...no one here will be too interested in hearing how wonderful you were in
california.

lake travis is probably were you wanna be...except its down over 50 feet this year.

i know it would take some time to do and it wouldnt happen over nite. i would start off mobile working out of my truck. so i would be limited to what i could do as far as engine pulls. i dont have an attitude im pretty easy going. ive been working at boat shops since i was 19 ive done everything from parts, service manager, shop manager, and full time mechanic. what kind of experience have you had at the shops out there(good or bad)? and whats the labor rate?

·
TDG MAFIA
1,270 Posts
i know it would take some time to do and it wouldnt happen over nite. i would start off mobile working out of my truck. so i would be limited to what i could do as far as engine pulls. i dont have an attitude im pretty easy going. ive been working at boat shops since i was 19 ive done everything from parts, service manager, shop manager, and full time mechanic. what kind of experience have you had at the shops out there(good or bad)? and whats the labor rate?
As far as performance go's there are a few shops that specialize in that. You have your good eggs and some bad eggs heck 105 is pretty littered with boat shops as far as experiences go. My buddies have really had no issues with the shops they have dealt with. The people out here are very easy going and country they know a good think when they see it and someone full of it. The people that fish and play on this lake know there place and know they equipment and don't take kindly to people trying to screw them over. Just keep that in mind. Once/If you get a good reputation you can go a long way. I have a few friends that own/run some shops that do high end work for the car audio,home audio ,marine audio ect and they could really guide you in the right direction. When you get down this way give me a holler and I can set you guys up to talk biz.

·
Rollin' Coal
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as performance go's there are a few shops that specialize in that. You have your good eggs and some bad eggs heck 105 is pretty littered with boat shops as far as experiences go. My buddies have really had no issues with the shops they have dealt with. The people out here are very easy going and country they know a good think when they see it and someone full of it. The people that fish and play on this lake know there place and know they equipment and don't take kindly to people trying to screw them over. Just keep that in mind. Once/If you get a good reputation you can go a long way. I have a few friends that own/run some shops that do high end work for the car audio,home audio ,marine audio ect and they could really guide you in the right direction. When you get down this way give me a holler and I can set you guys up to talk biz.
ok cool thanks im going to go out that way soon to check out the area more.

·
R.I.P. DAD
3,800 Posts
Well I just found this but nothing I can add to it other than whats just been said.

·
KEE KEE WHOO!
1,453 Posts
hot girls =0

1 - 10 of 10 Posts