The Diesel Garage banner

Larger Fuel tanks and tuners. Any problems?

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Pourinthecoal 
#1 ·
I've read several times that placing a larger fuel tank or adding a tank to the bed will trip the stock computer and throw a code. Something to do with stock computer not recognizing high miles to stock fuel tank capacity.

Anybody with larger fuel tank or bed tank have problems with any tuners?
Any tuner vendor/programmer with info on this?

thanks in advance

#3 ·
EARLY trucks did it - but they came up w/ an updated flash.

the issue - when the PCM didnt see movement from the fuel gauge after 200mi
the PCM assumed the fuel gauge or sending unit was broken.

transferflow had this problem more than anyone iirc - tanks IN the bed, pump
fuel to the MAIN tank (when the main tank reaches 1/2 full) so the issue is a NON
issue.

#7 ·
I don't know what "early" means, but I have the same "problem" with my '06. It usually occurs on long trips where I leave my aux tank ball valve on, and as you say, the fuel tank gauge doesn't move. After about 200 miles, the PCM throws a hissy fit and I get the PL0460 code (bad tank gauge) fault and CEL.

My Scangauge II makes short work of it, so it's no big deal to me.

#5 ·
you will be fine !

#9 ·
I plan on installing a Titan Super Series tank in my this coming spring. From what they tell me there is no error.

Most people that saw the error where those using the early Express UFS system with the transfer flow tank as the tank's level would slow or stop near the 1/2 mark when the pump kicked in and began transferring fluid to the OEM tank. This pause or reverse in level while the truck was motion kicked up the error that you had a faulty in tank sensor.

However from what I've been told by transfer flow this error has also been eliminated by changes in software not only in the transfer flow electronics but in the OEM ECM as well.

Now provided what I was told was false and you still receive the error. Having a DashDaq or any code reading tuner installed will allow you to read, decipher and clear the code in question.

I think both Titan and Transfer Flow offer great products. However if I was buying a direct replacement tank (which I am) it will be the Titan due to the rugged nature of the construction. If in the future I decide to augment my 67 gallons of fuel with an in Bed tank, it will be a Transfer flow.

Of course I may not have to do both as I plan on adding an F450/550 with a hauler body to the collection in the next few years. Which of course will have an added tank...:D

Of course as fuel prices steadily rise, I may not be driving anything :bang

#10 ·
im curious how you feel the plastic titan tank is more rugged than the metal transferflow ?

#11 ·
High-Density Cross-Linked Polyethylene is 20 times more resistant to stress cracks 10 times the molecular weight (aversion to chemicals) and 5 times the impact strength of aluminumized steel. There are no welds no seams and it is 100% rust resistant, plus its approximately 1/3 the weight.

Combined with the optional skid plate the Titan will take more abuse offroad than the comparable TFI tank, in my opinion.

The warranty says it all 5 years vs 3 years...wonder which one will last longer.

#12 ·
well good to know, as much as that sounds like propaganda cut & pasted from
someones page....the factory uses PLASTIC too.

it just seems like to me that these guys get a HUGE premium <per extra gallon>
over what you can get for an "in bed" tank/pump/gauge set up.

1000+ bucks for only 20 gallons more is HUGE, specially when you consider i
added 50 gallons MORE for about that.

#13 ·
well good to know, as much as that sounds like propaganda cut & pasted from
someones page....the factory uses PLASTIC too.
Plastic is a broad term like rock.

The OEM tank is High-Density Linear Polyethylene which is weaker than cross linked.

Propaganda... whatever. You won't find anything I posted on either TFI or Titan's pages. I did my own research the data I reviewed was from the chemical companies information page on the pellets provide to the injection mold factory.

As a contractor, I can't afford to waste my 8' bed with non removable in bed tank, therefore the Titan is overall better setup.

I do not work for either company. I have just had email conversations with technical product representatives from both companies.

I can find 20+ people that think Spartan is a waste of money too.. doens't mean it is.

Like I said my opinion, you don't like it that's your prerogative.

#14 ·
whoa pretty defensive !

#15 ·
I'm running a Job 2 with a bed tank siphon tank, no issues ever with it. Mind you, my check engine light is on all the time anyways, so who knows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.