The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks, I just put another turbo on my truck and my exhaust temps have me very puzzled. My mods are in my sig and nothing has been changed except turbos. When I was on my stock turbo I could push it to about 55 psi, but my exhaust temps were only around 1600 tops. Then I went to a plain jane s300 with a ported 16cm housing, it ran hotter than the stocker during normal driving but on top it also ran about 100 degrees hotter, would make about 40 psi of boost. So tonight I installed a B-1 62-14 charger, in hopes of cooling down up top a little. Well much to my suprise I took off for my test drive and pegged my 2000 degree pyro at about 45 psi of boost. What am I missing here folks? I'd always understood that a larger turbop while it'll run hotter down low will cool better up top? Can anyone please explain what's going on here? It's got me flustered cus at this point I was honestly happier when my stocker was in.

·
4,827 Posts
What do you have for an air filter and exhaust system?

Do you have 3.55 or 4.10 gears?

What RPMs are you turning when hitting 45psi/2k EGTs?

All of the engine mods are in my sig. Never seen over 1300* at 38#. Have 4.10 gears.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BHAFfor the filter, full 5" exhaust from downpipe back, 3000-3200 rpm when these temps were reached.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh and 3.55 gears

·
4,827 Posts
Forgot to ask, what are your injectors equivalent to? And, are your temps towing or empty?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Injectors are ~150hp I believe. These temps are empty, about 50 degrees outside.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I would try adding some timing, especially at those rpms

How fast is your fuel coming in? Just a thought, but I would wonder what it would do if you delayed full fuel until about 35psi

Also make sure that turbo is in good shape and someone hasn't clipped the turbine. Thats all I can think of right now, I'm a little stumped too :shrug:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dual K20s said:
I would try adding some timing, especially at those rpms

How fast is your fuel coming in? Just a thought, but I would wonder what it would do if you delayed full fuel until about 35psi

Also make sure that turbo is in good shape and someone hasn't clipped the turbine. Thats all I can think of right now, I'm a little stumped too :shrug:
fuel comes in real fast if I tromp it, but it gets real hot if I roll into it also. I had the turbo apart before I put it on, cleaning the housings and such so I know it's all in tact.

·
4,827 Posts
How bad is the turbo lag? If a lot of lag, you might need a 12 housing to light it faster. Maybe even try the 13 SS housing. Has bigger 'gate ports, too.

More timing would help some, but won't cure it all.

I would check for boost leaks. I had to use hairspray on all of my intercooler boots. Haven't blown them off since. I also had to replace the o-ring on the turbo to elbow adapter and tighten all of my intake manifold bolts. Some were loose.

May have a leak in the intercooler or one of the boots.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Dual K20s said:
How do you know when you get full fuel?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bmoeller said:
How bad is the turbo lag? If a lot of lag, you might need a 12 housing to light it faster. Maybe even try the 13 SS housing. Has bigger 'gate ports, too.

More timing would help some, but won't cure it all.

I would check for boost leaks. I had to use hairspray on all of my intercooler boots. Haven't blown them off since. I also had to replace the o-ring on the turbo to elbow adapter and tighten all of my intake manifold bolts. Some were loose.

May have a leak in the intercooler or one of the boots.
What type of oring is there between the elbow and the turbo? Mine has none but when I checked it it didn't leak.

·
Carolina Boy
273 Posts
check intercooler leaks, but i would look into getting a new intercooler anyhow bc if you tow with that as is now pegging your egt at 2000 empty, it would be lights out with a load on it. just my two cents.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Das Bar 2k4 said:
check intercooler leaks, but i would look into getting a new intercooler anyhow bc if you tow with that as is now pegging your egt at 2000 empty, it would be lights out with a load on it. just my two cents.
Actually I towed a lodad at 21K gross, friday and I was easily able to control egts going down the road.

·
4,827 Posts
willy91 said:
What type of oring is there between the elbow and the turbo? Mine has none but when I checked it it didn't leak.
Should be a red/orange o-ring where the elbow is clamped to the compressor housing outlet.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bmoeller said:
Should be a red/orange o-ring where the elbow is clamped to the compressor housing outlet.
hmm, maybe that could be some of my problems, I don't have one, unless it dropped and fell in the pit when I first changed it out. Do you know what size it is? Reckon just a normal black oring would work?

·
77 Posts
willy91 said:
Injectors are ~150hp I believe. These temps are empty, about 50 degrees outside.
whered you get 150 hp injectors? the biggest street injectors dynomite makes is 140's. im not sayin dynomite is the only injector company, just an example but if you've got comp injectors then your egt's are pretty normal. but that still makes no sense the stocker would run cooler. you should look into what injectors you have for sure, if there actually 150's twins are the answer if you can afford it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ClutchIt97 said:
whered you get 150 hp injectors? the biggest street injectors dynomite makes is 140's. im not sayin dynomite is the only injector company, just an example but if you've got comp injectors then your egt's are pretty normal. but that still makes no sense the stocker would run cooler. you should look into what injectors you have for sure, if there actually 150's twins are the answer if you can afford it.
they are 5x16 cut injectors from southern diesel performance. I actually have them sold and am in the process of putting some DDP competition series injectors in it.

·
77 Posts
thats awesome you want to sell your 150hp ones? if so how much?

·
77 Posts
i meant if the deal falls through

1 - 20 of 24 Posts