The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently had my '08 F350 checked for possible DPF problems and reduced MPGs. Ford said the DPF was OK but did re-flash the computer with what I was told would improve the MPG. The update also had a sheet of instructions on the " new regen messages" I would be receiving...kind of disconcerting in that once the regen starts I must continue driving for at least 30 minutes at a speed faster than 30MPH. If I don't follow the instructions the DPF warranty will be useless due to owner error. Seems that a person can't be expected to drive an unscheduled distance for 30 minutes so that the engine will work properly. Am I missing something here? What change did they program into my truck that would improve the function?

·
606 Posts
Drive for an additional 30 minutes? Owner error??? Is there a way you can post a picture of the instructions? This just seems like another way for a manufacture to get out of warranty claims.

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't do the DPF delete as it would void the warranty. Update: I've driven app. 400 miles with no regen...also it seems that my mpg has gone back to the way it used to be. At avg. speed of 50 mph (4.10 rear) getting 15.5 mpg on the road, not in city. Probably due to no regen.

·
106 Posts
I can't do the DPF delete as it would void the warranty. Update: I've driven app. 400 miles with no regen...also it seems that my mpg has gone back to the way it used to be. At avg. speed of 50 mph (4.10 rear) getting 15.5 mpg on the road, not in city. Probably due to no regen.
A 350 with 4.10 rear getting 15.5mpg? What you doing?
Sounds pretty good to me. Is it stock?

·
49 Posts
The very best I ever got was low 14's mpg on a trip, empty, driving like a granny. That's with 4.30's not much different from your 4.10's and I have the delete. Normally I'm at around 11 mpg. I think your doing ok.

·
14 Posts
Seems to me, according to your previous post, you are doomed to void the warranty anyway. How can you be expected to drive above 30mph consistently for 30 minutes when the regen starts, especially if you are in town and almost home or work?

·
172 Posts
When you look at this as a whole. Its kinda funny/ pathetic. First. You take a really good motor. Now add the EPA. Ford adds the DPF/DOC. Which drastically reduces fuel mileage. Now add the regen process. Which total kills fuel mileage at the time, Is bad for the motor, and shortens the life of the motor. THEN they are now going to tell you to drive un needed miles to finish the regen which is a total waste of time and fuel.

I would really like to learn more about this. I understand the EPA seeing a reduction in emissions the truck has, but for what time frame? 30 seconds, 5 minutes, and hour? I have trouble believing that a truck that has full deletes and uses 20-40% less fuel will have more emissions overall. When my truck was stock, for all of 7500 miles. It would go threw the better part of a quarter tank of fuel in a stopped regen which took about 20 mins. Never mind when you are running low on fuel towing heavy and it kicks in. Its just a joke.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts