The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys:

There is a Fix..but you have to do it on your own...as I did. I was well into my 3 rd set of leaky aluminum crimped lines on the Ally. (its the crimps that suck)...and fed up with Transynd drippin onto my driveway ea and every winter.

I decided to buy a brand new set of lines, take em to a hydraulic shop, have female fittings silver soldered onto ea end of all three lines and then had Teflon coated Stainless Steel lines made. I installed them myself and I can tell ya, having a trans line in 3 parts sure as heck made it easy to put in.

Was it cheap..no. (600 CAD), Was it worth it...Absolutely.!! But real cost was near the same as if you are outta warranty and get your local dealer to install 3 new lines. Why bother replacing crap with "new" crap..??

heres a cpl of pics:

Yes, you can do it with Rubber hose instead of SSteel and other type fittings too to reduce your cost..but it can be done. Just a note, these lines are in fact steel, I have personally taken my magnet with me to the dealer to make sure.! Light weight Aluminized steel.

Cheers,

stk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
yup..thats what they do..seep and seep and mess up the undersides with red fluid, and the driveway with red spots ea and every day..got fed up with it...ergo the fix.

One would think that GM woulda done something with this years ago..I hear from good authority this is a very common and very old issue...lke some 12-13 yrs at least...mind you, now that Obama is CEO..things are goona change right..?? LOL, uhuh.! :cool:

cheers,

stk

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
The grass ain't no greener on the other side. My Fords had leaky main seals that ruined my new garage floors.

A very expensive fix, too. I'll take the seepy tranny lines over the leaky main seals. :haha

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
yup..thats what they do..seep and seep and mess up the undersides with red fluid, and the driveway with red spots ea and every day..got fed up with it...ergo the fix.

One would think that GM woulda done something with this years ago..I hear from good authority this is a very common and very old issue...lke some 12-13 yrs at least...mind you, now that Obama is CEO..things are goona change right..?? LOL, uhuh.! :cool:

cheers,

stk
Last time I checked, your Prime Minister had a little ownership in GM, too. :wedgie

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
15k miles, no runs, no drips, no errors. No seepage. I was under there just last night looking around.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yea Duke, that is absolutely true...and we is all gonna pay for that bit of North American Foolishness..!!

Let me see...some 2.5 Trillion (that be a Thousand - Billion...Yowzer.!), in "new" money ... add to that creeping American Protectionism & Banks that just do not want to lend...and it starts to sound like 1932...no joke and no funny atall...If ya got debts boys.?? ..git rid of em...this thing, in my mind is far from over.

Rcan...15K..?? give it time and a nice cold winter...the seepage will come.!

cheers :happymugs

stk

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Yea Duke, that is absolutely true...and we is all gonna pay for that bit of North American Foolishness..!!

Let me see...some 2.5 Trillion (that be a Thousand - Billion...Yowzer.!), in "new" money ... add to that creeping American Protectionism & Banks that just do not want to lend...and it starts to sound like 1932...no joke and no funny atall...If ya got debts boys.?? ..git rid of em...this thing, in my mind is far from over.

Rcan...15K..?? give it time and a nice cold winter...the seepage will come.!

cheers :happymugs

stk
that right there is a true statement if i have ever heard one.... all last winter, i was losing transynd everywhere, and now that the temps are in the ridiculously hot range i have no leaks at all.... thats just frustrating:thumbdown

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yup...I hve never had on any vehicle an issue with leaks in the trans system other than in winter...regardless of the make...but these trans lines are about the worst. Seems to me they are the same as the power steering lines too..hmmm gonna have to check them soon too....in the winter.!

stk

·
Mafia member #105
2,262 Posts
I get the factory lines cheap at my wholesale cost, I want to do what you did.But I would like to add a inline trans filter along with that setup for after a trans rebuild,That you could remove in 400 miles.My 01 never leaked the 06 did a little and I replaced the line and ran it different and its still good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok...lets see what the invoice says:

6 ea 10691N-10-10 FJIC X Hose end
6 ea 10 PNTX-S MJIC plug
2.1 ft PTFE Hose w/SS wire Braid

Trans Lines PN's

And I've attached a bit of a .doc from the guy I got the idea from. Jeremy from on over at DkeiselPlace...He used proper Hyd hose and some flarless fittings...good write up by him. Basically gave me the idea to do what I did.

·
Mafia member #105
2,262 Posts
Ok...lets see what the invoice says:

6 ea 10691N-10-10 FJIC X Hose end
6 ea 10 PNTX-S MJIC plug
2.1 ft PTFE Hose w/SS wire Braid

Trans Lines PN's

21998956 list 50.17 my cost 37.63
20759972 list 43.19 my cost 32.19
20759973 list 34.51 my cost 25.88

And I've attached a bit of a .doc from the guy I got the idea from. Jeremy from on over at DkeiselPlace...He used proper Hyd hose and some flarless fittings...good write up by him. Basically gave me the idea to do what I did.
I will see what my cost id for all the Gm lines, Forgive my other post I was half asleep and typing.It really looks nice and clean the way you did it.

·
Mafia member #105
2,262 Posts
bump edit prices in above post

·
Registered
11 Posts
looks great steakman. If my second set leaks im going this route also.

·
5 Posts
Bought a used '07 classic 3500 dually from Albuquerque(thank god for spell check) New Mexico and took it to sunny Cali.,...the lines still leaked before Cali. home. So, its not just the cold. It is just plain ol' crappy lines. I replaced the lines(Oh! what fun), and have not had a leak yet, 8 mos. later. Truth be told, I am Military and had been gone over half of that, so have not put on too many miles, but it is my daily driver, so... Crossing my fingers. I like your fix with the braided line. I have replumbed the fuel system on my hot rod, so I just happened to have some left over -10(1/2") braided line. If they, or shall we say, when they start to leak again, I will follow your advice. Good call!

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
I dont think there is enough pressure in those lines for a need to have Braided lines, just a good rubber hose and good crimps will make the biggest difference

1 - 19 of 19 Posts