The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys,

I had my trailer lights go bad so I put new LED lights everything..and new wire. the only wire I reused was brakes as it works fine.

Ok so I just got every wired and installed and it works fine while on smooth road or sitting still. BUT if I hit a bump the lights flicker and go out for maybe 2-3 sec. The only ground is on the brakes. the lights are grounded to the screws attaching them to the trailer. should I run a ground from my truck 7 way plug to the trailer frame? I think this would fix the issue because the trailer grounds on the ball now and when it bounces off the ball a little bit is when it flashes. Am I on the correct track?

Thanks guys.

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
The white wire in the harness is the ground. The ball/tongue should not make you lose ground.

Something on wire is loose or bare and shorting, so it sounds.

·
234 Posts
Yea the reason your lights are flashing on and off is because the trailer grounds itself through the trailer ball... If there is a load on the trailer It doesnt happen. When empty it will happen over every bump. You could run a ground wire from your plug...

Yea you had it right though

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
That white wire is supposed to be grounded on the trailer. Do that then see what happens... should fix your problems. And LED trailer lights are awesome.. I love mine!

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I will run a ground from the trailer plug to the trailer frame and see what happens. I knew thats what it needed due to the low watt/voltage the LEDs need. I just need to hear someone else say it. I also thought if I have a load on the trailer it would not happen..I just didn't want to load the tractor or 4 wheeler up to test it. I don't think it would cause a break issue would it?
Thanks guys will add the ground wire and report back. feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
The brakes probably won't work if they're not grounded. I'd rather not find out though... Just ground the wire. It'll take 2 mins.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the Brakes are already grounded to the trailer plug. I just wanted to make sure adding a 2nd ground wire from the trailer plug to the trailer frame will not interfere with the brake ground that is already there.

·
391 Posts
Ground it

Go ahead and ground it. It seems that 90% of trailer issues are ground related. I always run the ground wire in the harness all the way to each light fixture, just to minimize any problems with connections to the steel frame of all my trailers.

·
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner
3,705 Posts
I had the same problem with LEDs on a trailer while it was unloaded. Made a Ground wire from the Trailer frame to my Plug and all was right with the world...

·
Cummins Tower
83 Posts
ground it sonds like a bad short to me. once you got a good ground all your problem should be fixed. The extra wire to the frame should work good. that shouldn't effect your brakes all all.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ran the ground tonight and it is working great. I also notice that the light respond much faster and are much brighter. I am very happy with how it turned out. thanks guys

·
Senior diesel friend
266 Posts
How to test grond for trailer frame

Glad to read every think is fixed.

Here is my 2 cent:
Very simple way to test if ground is bad on trailer:
1. put wheel blocks under trailer wheels
2. disconnect hitch/ball/5th from truck. Also safety chain/cable.
3. do NOT disconnect wire from truck to trailer.
4. turn tail lights on. is it on? if not
5. turn your right (or left) turn on. if you going to see 4th of July funny lighting behavior - no ground.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts