The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me ask a question.......Is it worth the extra money to run 4" turbo back exhaust or cut the muffler off and stay with the 3" no cats?:thinking

·
49 Posts
I would say yes it is worth it, shop around you can get some good deals on four inch. Are you running a programmer?

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
If your not making big power a 3 inch with no cat or muffler is fine, but if you want to make more power, you need to move more air out of the motor so a 4 inch system is worth it

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
right now I have a little over 500 hp with the 3 in I really dont have plans yet so I will go with the 3in no muff or cat. thanks for your help:thumbsup

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
With 500HP the 3inch is going to choke that turbo, go with the 4 inch.

·
34 Posts
What are you making 500hp with??? Just curious.....

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
What are you making 500hp with??? Just curious.....
curious as well. hope the programmer's numbers aint got you doing internet tuner calculations. not trying to be mean or nothing, just pointing that out. granted a good tune on a dmax can make some good numbers on a stock truck.

as far as the exhaust goes, i'd go 4" definately. not only does it perform better when you get into more mods, it sounds better. heck, depending on your plans for mods, id look into a 5" TBE even. theres a few guys around here (lb7, lly, and i think an lmm or two) running 5" on theirs, and IMHO it sounds pretty sweet.

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
At 500hp you'll want a 4" exhaust. the straight pipe 3" is only good for at most 450hp before it becomes too restrictive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Heck 4'' should come stock.

And x 3 on what your mods are to get 500 horse, os this also at the rear wheels?

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
at 500HP it wouldnt even hurt to search for a 5"....... :thumbsup nothing wrong with getting rid of your hot exhaust air as fast as possible.... or... maybe.. hood stack?? LOL

im running the stock 3.5" straight piped for now only because i wanted more sound, and im not running any kind of tuning, my engine is stock, when i start spending money on my truck i will upgrade to a 4" or maybe even 5"

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
If your not making big power a 3 inch with no cat or muffler is fine, but if you want to make more power, you need to move more air out of the motor so a 4 inch system is worth it
comparing an 01 LB7 stock 3.5" exhaust to my 06 stock 3.5" exhaust, the 06 is at least 25-30% more restrictive than even an 01!!! so i am currently using an 01 front pipe on my 06 because there are way less bends and kinks in it... in what engineers mind would a more restrictive exhaust be better on an engine that makes 60 more hp????

as for TIM Z's comment about 4" should be stock, gm finnally got smart and put 4" on the LMM's:bang dodge had it on theirs in 03 dangnabbit!!!:thumbdown

·
Registered
58 Posts
4". no question...and man oh man...what are ya using to git 500hp.? I'd likely pee my pants with that kinda power...LOL :D Well I suppose I could run my Banks at the 6 speedloader level...just never had a need. This thing goes when it needs to well enough.!!

Hey Tim.! Fancy meetin you here.!

For those not Familiar with Tim Z, A well respected long time & knowedgeable member of DP. I have read many of his posts..informative and sometimes damned funny to boot.!

Bright White..has summer come to Cowtown/Edmonchuck yet..??

cheers,

stk

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
as for TIM Z's comment about 4" should be stock, gm finnally got smart and put 4" on the LMM's:bang dodge had it on theirs in 03 dangnabbit!!!:thumbdown
really? i didnt know the LMMs came with 4" turbo back. granted too many the ones around here have chip + exhaust before somone can even look to see. :haha

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
4". no question...and man oh man...what are ya using to git 500hp.? I'd likely pee my pants with that kinda power...LOL :D Well I suppose I could run my Banks at the 6 speedloader level...just never had a need. This thing goes when it needs to well enough.!!

Hey Tim.! Fancy meetin you here.!

For those not Familiar with Tim Z, A well respected long time & knowedgeable member of DP. I have read many of his posts..informative and sometimes damned funny to boot.!

Bright White..has summer come to Cowtown/Edmonchuck yet..??

cheers,

stk
Well its pretty dang warm here lately, around or over 30*c lately... not a lot of rain.. typical hot drought filled Albertan summer :thumbsup LOL

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wish we could say the same in Barrie...Seems more like Thailand in Monsoon season..!! Jesus...haven't had to add city water to my pool at all this year.!!

Hope things start to pick up in the patch...I wanna come home.!! BahhhWahhh...!
No offence to any Ontarians...but Ontario SUCKS.!! TAX CRAZY, completely MAD drivers (turns signals are completely optional)...and it seems a greater proportion of the total populace is simply 'tupid.!!

Cant complain though...they let me move here.! Now flying the Blue Alberta Flag in my back yard.! (the only mountains I can see..!!)

cheers,

stk

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Wish we could say the same in Barrie...Seems more like Thailand in Monsoon season..!! Jesus...haven't had to add city water to my pool at all this year.!!

Hope things start to pick up in the patch...I wanna come home.!! BahhhWahhh...!
No offence to any Ontarians...but Ontario SUCKS.!! TAX CRAZY, completely MAD drivers (turns signals are completely optional)...and it seems a greater proportion of the total populace is simply 'tupid.!!

Cant complain though...they let me move here.! Now flying the Blue Alberta Flag in my back yard.! (the only mountains I can see..!!)

cheers,

stk
Im headed to Banff this weekend, for a weeks vacay WOOHOOO! LOL, im not sure i could live in ontario either... too many crazy's out there :haha

·
Registered
58 Posts
aaaahh..Yers the mythical Lift pump. Damn, wish I had one of those. I truly think that is the only way to get rid of that slight lag..when you are driving 2 lane hwy and granpa is in front of you for 20-30miles doing just slightly below the speed limit...go to punch it..and darn if the rig dont lag for about a full second, before taking off like a deer with hounds behind it!

I'd like to have that "second".

gonna have to add that to the wish list...

stk

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
I'm thinking about getting one too, but I don't know which to go for; the Air Dog II or a Fass

1 - 20 of 35 Posts