The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Training Wheels King
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after meaning and talking with Onebadf150 and Mick(some numbers) I was looking to see if we could get another good thread going. It seems like some guys are thinking the HPFP has more HP in it and its actually the lift pump is starving it. Anyone care to add info? How could one test this? Simply Data log the strongest tune you have... add an airdog or some type of like LPFP and data log again compairing rail pressure loss?

Also I would really be interested in an airdog II system... Are these coming out for our trucks? I know there is talk of them finishing up for the 6.0.

It was nice meeting you guys also... Never did go up and introduce myself to Lane in the red daully. (come on josh with the jokes)

·
Registered
639 Posts
How to test it?

Start with an inline fuel pressure gauge from the lift to the hpfp..watch the fluctuation...record the numbers. Go to the track, make some runs, maybe even dyno. Also log your FRP readings.

Next if the lift pump is lacking add a larger pump (Fass called me last week and I should have a unit real soon) from there monitor the pressure again....go back to the track make some runs maybe dyno, again record FRP numbers, compare data craw your conclusion....

Personally, I am not certain that theres much more peak power to be gained...but I do feel the lift pump is the FIRST weak link...and replacing it might yield more power on the big end for alonger amount of time, in turn lower ETs

After you see that the pressure no longer drops

·
Ford 6.4 it's just cooler
673 Posts
it's gotta be replaced if you do bigger or dual HPFP's so why not...helps get air out which is good too

·
Training Wheels King
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's gotta be replaced if you do bigger or dual HPFP's so why not...helps get air out which is good too
Sorta what I was thinking... I mean why not right? Gotta atleast help some and it's only a building block to the next step so there is no harm or reason not to...

Anyone have any idea if the Airdog II for the 6.0's will work on the 6.4's? Or if they are going to be releasing one about the same time...

·
Training Wheels King
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man, I really thought there would be more interest in this...

·
248 Posts
Every once and awhile my truck will get a CEL light with the -Fuel rail pressure too high code... and thats with 110HP injectors. So Elite's modded fuel pump is working. The stock lift pump cannot keep up with the fuel pump on a long wide open run, so I'm trying to take it easy untill I get a supply pump.

p.s. the smoke is ridiculous!!!

·
Training Wheels King
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds about right.... I am interested to know if the stock lift pump is large enough to keep up with the stock HPFP.

Are you going to be adding a FASS, AirDog, or a custom fuel system from the tank to HPFP?

·
248 Posts
Elite is working on an upgraded supply pump that they should send to me when it's done. If the Fass system comes out first I will just run that. The last thing I want to do is burn out my HPFP pump.

·
Training Wheels King
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Elite is working on an upgraded supply pump that they should send to me when it's done. If the Fass system comes out first I will just run that. The last thing I want to do is burn out my HPFP pump.
I get what you are saying but one thing I think alot of people would be interested in know is how just the supply pump would change the truck. Mostly because the HPFP is a cab off mod correct?

·
248 Posts
I think the supply pump pressure sits at 5-8psi before the HPFP on a tuned 6.4. My truck it would drop to zero after the pump mod. If you could get the pressure to hold at 10psi I bet you would see a HP difference while running the 275 tune. Yes it was a cab off ordeal.

·
248 Posts
I'm head studded.

·
Training Wheels King
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the supply pump pressure sits at 5-8psi before the HPFP on a tuned 6.4. My truck it would drop to zero after the pump mod. If you could get the pressure to hold at 10psi I bet you would see a HP difference while running the 275 tune. Yes it was a cab off ordeal.

Thanks man, thats some good info. :thumbsup:thumbsup What i'm looking for in a thread like this!

·
Registered
639 Posts
With a certain tune.....on my truck, even with brand new filters, I can get my pressure from the lift to the hpfp to drop below 2psi, I think theres a hair more in these trucks with stock hardware and a lift upgrade only.

·
Ford 6.4 it's just cooler
673 Posts

·
Training Wheels King
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With a certain tune.....on my truck, even with brand new filters, I can get my pressure from the lift to the hpfp to drop below 2psi, I think theres a hair more in these trucks with stock hardware and a lift upgrade only.
Certain tune eh...:goodvsevil...:fan...:thumbsup

Is one of the readings on the DD pressure at the HPFP?

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85
1,683 Posts
Joe,

did r u going to do a write up on all the goodies elite installed on your truck? I would love to see some pics !

What's the difference between the 2 upcoming standalone units from fass and airdog?

·