The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who has compared the fuel mileage vs the computer? How accurate have you found them to be? I test drove a Supercrew 4x4 today and was very impressed with the truck. I loved my 6.4L but this thing felt much more refined and if the LOM was correct I was getting some stellar fuel mileage. Regardless of fuel mileage, this truck rocks and I have to figure out how to buy one:rock

·
TDG Official Poo Flinger
5,268 Posts
never trust the lie-o-meter.....you usually get worse mileage in a truck, and the companies don't want you to see how bad it really is....

....but...on my 2011 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra....it's backwards....the lie-o-meter says I get around 190-200 miles per tank, but I actually get between 240-255 miles per tank(depending on how hard I ride).

·
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know my 2010 F150 LOM is dead on with hand calculating, also my 2010 Taurus LOM is dead on with hand calculating.

·
10 Posts
Mine's been pretty close the last five or so tankfuls. Check the link in my sig for the values.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
It seems the trucks are more accurate than the cars, because both the Taurus and Fusion are off by 10% or more, they over-state the MPG.

·
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems the trucks are more accurate than the cars, because both the Taurus and Fusion are off by 10% or more, they over-state the MPG.
My 2008 and 2010 Taurus AWDs are always within .5mpg of hand calculations. I typically average about 23mpg with my 2010 so I calculate mine is within about 97.5% accuracy to hand calculations for me

·
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine's been pretty close the last five or so tankfuls. Check the link in my sig for the values.
you have done some good data collection on some things...nice work. I wonder why on some of your fuel mileage calculations the the computer is pretty accurate then on others its off so much. Also what does your differential sheet do?

·
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you have done some good data collection on some things...nice work. I wonder why on some of your fuel mileage calculations the the computer is pretty accurate then on others its off so much. Also what does your differential sheet represent?

·
10 Posts
you have done some good data collection on some things...nice work. I wonder why on some of your fuel mileage calculations the the computer is pretty accurate then on others its off so much. Also what does your differential sheet represent?
I'm not sure what happened on the some of them that were way off. The worst one had some extra idling and towing.

The differential spreadsheet was created because some of the us were getting the ribbed differential covers and some were getting the smooth steel covers. We were trying develop some sort of pattern as to who got what. Based on the data collected I surmised the following:

All DRW trucks get the ribbed cover
SRW trucks built before 11/2010 got the ribbed covers
SRW trucks built 11/2010 and later got the smooth covers.

I don't have much data for trucks built after 12/2010 so anyone out there with new trucks please enter your data. The most important items to enter are your build month and cover style. The other fields were early attempts at finding a pattern.

·
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure what happened on the some of them that were way off. The worst one had some extra idling and towing.

The differential spreadsheet was created because some of the us were getting the ribbed differential covers and some were getting the smooth steel covers. We were trying develop some sort of pattern as to who got what. Based on the data collected I surmised the following:

All DRW trucks get the ribbed cover
SRW trucks built before 11/2010 got the ribbed covers
SRW trucks built 11/2010 and later got the smooth covers.

I don't have much data for trucks built after 12/2010 so anyone out there with new trucks please enter your data. The most important items to enter are your build month and cover style. The other fields were early attempts at finding a pattern.
Have you corelated the F350s GVWR vs ribbed cover? Thats funny you mention that about the cover as I had an 08 that had the ribbed cover and couldnt understand how the new 6.7Ls didnt have them. My local dealership has the 3 F350s in the lot right now and one had the ribbed cover and the others did not. I looked at the GVW and the Ribbed truck had a higher GVW

·
65 Posts
i have 38k miles and i quit doing hand calcs, because the LOM is so close. 50% of the time im towing also if that helps.

·
3,533 Posts
I have a GMC with an LMM and it calculates the mileage over the last 100 Kilometers but when I fuel the truck up and on full it shuts off, then I manually put the nozzle on half way, till it shuts off, it is very accurate on the fuel used section. Just a thought!

·
35 Posts
Lie-o-meter vs manual mpg calculation

2008 F-250 5.4L gas was consistantly within 1mpg (very accurate)
2011 F-250 6.7L Diesel is consistantly within 1mpg (very accurate)

There is about 2.5 gallons of reserve fuel left when the meter and gauge reads 0 miles to empty or E respectively.

Starwarrior

1 - 14 of 14 Posts