The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas,

I'm in the market for a new truck, and I'm leaning heavily toward buying a Dodge.

I just noticed today that Chrysler is offering a lifetime extended warranty, and it sounds like a really good deal. I typically drive my trucks for 200k to 300k before trading them in, and that warranty could potentially save me quite a bit of money/headache.

Has anyone out there purchased the lifetime warranty (or any of the other extended warranties)? Was it worth the money? Or was it a major hassle?

Any opinions are most welcome.

Thanks,

Woody

·
754 Posts
I'm not sure about the offer you're talking about but I strongly urge you to spend the time and read the fine print, terms, and conditions of any long term warranty. We have purchased some in the last few years and once they get your money they do everything they can to weasle out of paying out on them with a 1001 exceptions. Generally the factory warranties are good but long term warranties are laden with ways for them to get out of fixing anything.

I paid cash on my wifes Tahoe and a long term warranty. The transfer case went out and the warranty company said they would only pay to put in one from a wrecked Tahoe in a junk yard or they'd cut a check and I was responsible for the difference in getting a new one. It was better than nothing but a junk yard? Come on.

Dodge is turning people away on their warranties for not using "clean" enough gas. I don't even know how they come up with that. Any mods AT ALL and they are turning people away.

·
5,365 Posts
the warranty wont mean SQUAT if the COMPANY isnt in business to accept to FILE
the claim !

Warranty repairs are a HEAVY weight for any insurance company or mfg to absorb...
its why there is so much push back from the MFG in denying claims.

·
25 Posts
Fellas,

I'm in the market for a new truck, and I'm leaning heavily toward buying a Dodge.

I just noticed today that Chrysler is offering a lifetime extended warranty, and it sounds like a really good deal. I typically drive my trucks for 200k to 300k before trading them in, and that warranty could potentially save me quite a bit of money/headache.

Has anyone out there purchased the lifetime warranty (or any of the other extended warranties)? Was it worth the money? Or was it a major hassle?

Thanks,

Woody
if you read the fine print , diesel trucks are excluded from the lifetime warranty .

·
Born in the USA
2,651 Posts
Yep the diesels are exempt as well as the SRT vehicles.

·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fellas,

I'll take your word for it. I was surfing the website for this info, and haven't found the fine print yet.

The 7 year/100,000 mile extended warranty seems like a rip off.

Do you think Chrysler is going to weather this storm? Or do you think they will fold in the next couple of years? (I don't want to buy a truck, then find out I have no customer service or parts available.)

Woody

·
5,365 Posts
Do you think Chrysler is going to weather this storm? Or do you think they will fold in the next couple of years? (I don't want to buy a truck, then find out I have no customer service or parts available.)
its not gonna take "the next couple of years" if they make it thru the summer
itll be amazing...the general public is fed up w/ bailing <failing> companies
out....if you cant run your company well enough to make a profit why
should the american public toss good money after bad ??

look whats already happened <to GM & AIG>....theyve come back
asking for MORE on top of what was already given...you dont fix a
money problem w/ MORE money.

on the other hand look at CITI...theyre figuring out how to turn a profit

its SINK or SWIM in my book....giving them money only prolongs the
inevitable :bang: and theyll just keep coming back for more, making
excuse after excuse why they need "just a little more"....all the while
having make insignificant changes internally to correct the REAL problems !

·
268 Posts
Fellas,

I'll take your word for it. I was surfing the website for this info, and haven't found the fine print yet.

The 7 year/100,000 mile extended warranty seems like a rip off.

Woody
I'm not even sure it's that good. I think it's 3/36 powertrain on diesels, with 5/100 on the cummins. In some states the emissions is warrantied longer than the 3/36. Make sure you find it all out.
The best thing they all could do is chapter 11. That would allow them to redo the union contracts. Customer service I'm not sure on, but even if they did fold up, they still have to make parts for at least 10 years or something like that.

·
5,365 Posts
....but even if they did fold up, they still have to make parts for at least 10 years or something like that.
if they are BANKRUPT and FOLDED theyre not gonna be around to make
parts <for a MONTH much less 10 years> !

·
Ghost
628 Posts
Fellas,

Thanks,

Woody
No lifetime warranty on diesels.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
No lifetime warranty on diesels.
I thought they said I could BUY a lifetime warranty for the diesel at the tune of 5000 bucks..(when I bought the truck) My dealer said they dont push them just as an FYI thing..but I have slept since then..I figure in 15000 miles I am the warranty..but I agree with Philly no lifetime warranty on diesels or SRTs...

·
268 Posts
if they are BANKRUPT and FOLDED theyre not gonna be around to make
parts <for a MONTH much less 10 years> !
Maybe they won't, but someone will. If I can still get parts for a 1980 american motors pacer limited, I would hope to be able to get parts for my truck for a few years to come, even if dodge does go belly up. Who knows though?

·
5,365 Posts
Maybe they won't, but someone will. If I can still get parts for a 1980 american motors pacer limited, I would hope to be able to get parts for my truck for a few years to come, even if dodge does go belly up. Who knows though?
it all depends on how many dodges are sold the year they go belly up....
if they create a new engine & parts and only sell it for 6 months then
theres probably not enough in it for someone else to make the parts EITHER.

·
268 Posts
it all depends on how many dodges are sold the year they go belly up....
if they create a new engine & parts and only sell it for 6 months then
theres probably not enough in it for someone else to make the parts EITHER.
Wouldn't worry about the engine. I think cummins is still doing ok. If you get your motor parts from a dodge dealer, your paying to much anyway. I just don't think it's a concern. Could be wrong though.

·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All,

I had an opportunity to speak with the local Ford dealer about this, and got a bit of insight.

He tells me that the most likely scenario is the splitting up of Chrysler Corp, with GM to take a portion and Ford to take a portion. If that is the case, then parts will still be available. I've also heard the same thing from other sources.

And, right now the Ford truck is selling like crazy. This is due to consumer confidence in Ford, and the fact that they haven't taken any bailout money. Hence, the great deals available on Dodge vehicles.

Right now, I'm thinking I might be best off keeping my truck for another six months, or so, just to see what is going to happen to the Big Three. (I've also spent a ton of money repairing the truck, and won't get anything out of it in trade.)

Woody

1 - 16 of 16 Posts