The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
2nd Gen Guru
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Gang...

It's time for me to think about pulling the Carter Campaign pump and replacing it. I'm been tipping the fuel warning light at 10 PSI on a regular basis now.

Now I've been considering the Holley pumps for a replacement. I know they got Holley Red, Holley Blue, and Holley Black. Knowing the holley black has plenty of GPH... But I'm worried about how much pressure it will deliever?

I know there is several out there with Holley blue's but I was looking to just go big and get it done once for a long time. So advise would be great to hear from all of you...

Help a fellow Cummins owner...:poke:
 

·
Boost Junkie
Joined
·
318 Posts
Michael
I have the holley blue pump and i honestly have gotten lots of info from you on all of your bombs. I am running a holley blue currently. I am getting 13psi @ idle and dropping down to 7psi under WOT with no trailer.
NO STRECHED SPRING..
I suggest getting a pump rated for diesel fuel. Skip the holley setup and check into a Airdog, Raptor, Fass, Walbro, Airtex or something along those lines. I am currently looking into a different style myself because another member stated the holley was pulling to many amps causing TC issues and tranny issues.

The Airtex looks like a good cheaper replacement.
 

·
2nd Gen Guru
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
91rangerturbo said:
Michael
I suggest getting a pump rated for diesel fuel. Skip the holley setup and check into a Airdog, Raptor, Fass, Walbro, Airtex or something along those lines. I am currently looking into a different style myself because another member stated the holley was pulling to many amps causing TC issues and tranny issues.

The Airtex looks like a good cheaper replacement.
First off I can't afford a FASS, AirDog, or Walbro... These are all high dollar pumps... $200 bucks for a stock carter is not a choice either knowning that they will fail in a short order...

Lets try to find a low dollar solution here people... I don't need a $600 dollar pump...:poke:

As for Airtex they don't list any pumps for the dodge cummins just check there site... :shrug:
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
Put a holley inline with your carter and regulate it before the injection pump and you should have great pressure. My blue doesn't cause me any issues with my converter etc but I don't run it with the lift pump wiring I wired it separate.
 

·
Boost Junkie
Joined
·
318 Posts
Mopar1973Man said:
First off I can't afford a FASS, AirDog, or Walbro... These are all high dollar pumps... $200 bucks for a stock carter is not a choice either knowning that they will fail in a short order...

Lets try to find a low dollar solution here people... I don't need a $600 dollar pump...:poke:

As for Airtex they don't list any pumps for the dodge cummins just check there site... :shrug:
You can get a walbro 392 for around 100 dollars and piece together your own kit.

Here is a Kit
http://store.dieseltruckresource.com/19gfpelipusy.html

And here is a walbro pump by itself.
http://www.jdsperformance.com/index.asp?initemuid=432&fcmd=item&inmake=0

I have bought 4 fuel pumps from Jd's performance for gas applications and have not had one single problem from him.
 

·
2nd Gen Guru
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm... Walbro pumps I know are high pressure pumps and require a lot of plumbing to make it safe to use with a VP44...

10 MINIMUM PRESSURE
20 MAXIMUM PRESSURE

So the most I understand about the Walbro pumps is that most have a bypass line in it. But is there anyway to regulate it properly so the pressure remains stable? Like use a Holley regulator?

That's why I was considering the Holley pumps... I can get it locally easy. I can shim up the spring for increased pressure, and 120-140 GPH is more than I could possible use... As my Scan Gauge shows I use a total of 12-19 GPH with my current BOMB's so the rest of it is returned to the tank...
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
where is it that you shim the spring on a holley? I would like to be able to add a lil more pressure to mine to keep it safe..
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
113 Posts
dont make the same mistake that i made i went threw 2 carters before i had enough since to get a fass(6 year warranty). glacier has a complete kit for $419 here is review from glacier's site. remember a good lp is still cheaper the an stock injector pump.


GFS-392 Jan 28, 2008
Reviewer: William Hunt From WA USA
Make the switch to this & be done replacing your stock OEM Carter Lift Pump! Awesome system that works great! Install takes 2.5-3 hours taking your time. System is complete & performs as advertised. I've had mine installed for 17 months now & this thing holds 16 psi at idle & under a hard heavy pull I can only pull it down about 2 psi momentarily & then it's back up to 16 psi. Great Product that I Highly recommend!
 

·
2nd Gen Guru
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
01quadcab said:
where is it that you shim the spring on a holley? I would like to be able to add a lil more pressure to mine to keep it safe..


Right between the cap bolt and the spring use small washers to increase pressure. Some people like to stretch the spring but that could over do it... But if you stack small washers behind the cap bolt you can adjust by adding or removing shims... Or a small chunk of round rod that fits the hole... But don't get carried away with it...

The way I tuned the oil pump on my 1973 Dodge Charger Big Block... 80 PSI of oil pressure all the time! :sly:
 

·
2nd Gen Guru
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
smokeyourdiesel said:
dont make the same mistake that i made i went threw 2 carters before i had enough since to get a fass(6 year warranty). glacier has a complete kit for $419 here is review from glacier's site. remember a good lp is still cheaper the an stock injector pump.


GFS-392 Jan 28, 2008
Reviewer: William Hunt From WA USA
Make the switch to this & be done replacing your stock OEM Carter Lift Pump! Awesome system that works great! Install takes 2.5-3 hours taking your time. System is complete & performs as advertised. I've had mine installed for 17 months now & this thing holds 16 psi at idle & under a hard heavy pull I can only pull it down about 2 psi momentarily & then it's back up to 16 psi. Great Product that I Highly recommend!
I've only bought 3 pump so far in 120K miles... I've only spent 120 bucks... in 5.5 years on 2 fuel pumps 1 pump was warranty covered...

I just don't have 400-600 bucks to drop on a pump right now... I'm going to have to scratch to get enough to even get a Holley right now... I just don't have the money for Glasier or FASS... :shrug:

remember a good lp is still cheaper the an stock injector pump.
I've only lost one VP44 pump... This was before I knew about gauges and pressure... As of right now my carter pump is still holding 10-11 PSI at WOT barely... So I'm marginal but not out yet... I've still got the spare under the back seat too...

I've got plenty of warning system... Pressure gauge and low pressure light...:popcorn:

As for the Carter Campaign Pumps (4090046) I would buy another one if the price was still 60 bucks but Cummins raise the price to $220 buck now. This pump has been really good to me. Even now the pressure difference is only 2-3 PSI from idle to WOT. So I'm at 12.5-13.0 at idle and 10 PSI at WOT... Not bad for a "Junk pump"....
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
big line kit came in today once I pull all my stuff off going to shim the pump to gain some pressure I will let you know what constant I get when I do this.
 

·
2nd Gen Guru
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
01quadcab said:
big line kit came in today once I pull all my stuff off going to shim the pump to gain some pressure I will let you know what constant I get when I do this.
This is exactly what I needed to hear... I'm also setup with 1/2" Vulcan Big Line Kit... Now lets see how you fair with pressure and setup. Keep me informed! :poke:
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
well now that the g/f has the flu I will have a car to drive around if I take mine apart after work this week and get it done when I have time. so hopefully by the weekend I will be ready.
 

·
Boost Junkie
Joined
·
318 Posts
Well right now i have a holley blue pump that has been on for about 5-6 months. My pressure is right at 12-13psi @ idle and i can pull it down to around 7-8psi with my box on high 120hp setting even with a 1/2 big line kit and no fuel filter housing. I will stretch the spring some and get back with you.

Also is it worth pulling the screen out too?
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
454 Posts
Mopar1973Man said:
Hmmm... Walbro pumps I know are high pressure pumps and require a lot of plumbing to make it safe to use with a VP44...

10 MINIMUM PRESSURE
20 MAXIMUM PRESSURE

So the most I understand about the Walbro pumps is that most have a bypass line in it. But is there anyway to regulate it properly so the pressure remains stable? Like use a Holley regulator?

That's why I was considering the Holley pumps... I can get it locally easy. I can shim up the spring for increased pressure, and 120-140 GPH is more than I could possible use... As my Scan Gauge shows I use a total of 12-19 GPH with my current BOMB's so the rest of it is returned to the tank...


My buddy that has an 02 ETH with a 6spd put a walbro pump in last summer and he hasn't had any issues with starting or too much pressure. From what he tells me!!!!!
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
454 Posts
Mopar1973Man said:
Hmmm... Walbro pumps I know are high pressure pumps and require a lot of plumbing to make it safe to use with a VP44...

10 MINIMUM PRESSURE
20 MAXIMUM PRESSURE

So the most I understand about the Walbro pumps is that most have a bypass line in it. But is there anyway to regulate it properly so the pressure remains stable? Like use a Holley regulator?

That's why I was considering the Holley pumps... I can get it locally easy. I can shim up the spring for increased pressure, and 120-140 GPH is more than I could possible use... As my Scan Gauge shows I use a total of 12-19 GPH with my current BOMB's so the rest of it is returned to the tank...

I have a FASS 95gph and I think it was money well spent, i had to do my VP44 cause the damage was already done. I haven't had any issues and my pressure stays 15 or 16 psi at idle and don't go below 12 at WOT.
 

·
Boost Junkie
Joined
·
318 Posts
91rangerturbo said:
Well right now i have a holley blue pump that has been on for about 5-6 months. My pressure is right at 12-13psi @ idle and i can pull it down to around 7-8psi with my box on high 120hp setting even with a 1/2 big line kit and no fuel filter housing. I will stretch the spring some and get back with you.

Also is it worth pulling the screen out too?
Well since i posted that my pressure dropped to 10.5psi at idle. So while working on the truck. I pulled out the spring and stretched it out and now i am getting a reading of 15psi at idle. And haven't got a chance to pull it down yet. Jammer 5's will be going in wednesday so i will check then.
 

·
2nd Gen Guru
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cumminsdude2001 said:
I have a FASS 95gph and I think it was money well spent, i had to do my VP44 cause the damage was already done. I haven't had any issues and my pressure stays 15 or 16 psi at idle and don't go below 12 at WOT.
I was doing better with the Carter Campaign pump from Cummins (4090046). I could install a new pump for ~$60 bucks and get 15 at idle and never drop below 13 PSI... Now 30K miles later is getting weak it idles at 13 and barely pulls down to 10 PSI...

As for FASS I'm not very impressed with the service end. I've been trying to contact the manufacture directly but it can't be done all you can do is contact a local dealer... In my book that not good business sense...

Air Dog is a FASS look a like... Just too high of a price for a pump.

But As for AirTex I've had a long talk with the tech dept. I was assured that AirTex pumps are built to a higher standard that the carter pumps are. They put out a bit more pressure and volume (stable) compared to a stock carter. No modifications required... Stock metric threads... It can also be mounted in stock position...
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top