The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
resident mason
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The woodckuck has been having probs. w/ his truck for a couple days and today went to start it and it died. took a while to restart(several times) and get back home. We think a bad lift pump is to blame. The ? is are the lift pumps the same from 89 to the 94 cause if so we'll just take the one off of my 89 and throw it on his until the new one arrives.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I don't think they are the same. Just get the new one they're a pain to change!

·
riding in the dirty dozen
184 Posts
:whs there a pain to change and i got mine from cummins it was around 150 or so i think but if ur goin to do it u might as well do it with a new one kinda be like swaping a used fuel filter with a used fuel filter??? just dont make sense

·
Registered
67 Posts
Check the fuel supply line very carefully. They get old and start sucking air. That causes air in the fuel and a loss of prime.

·
29 Posts
firehillbilly, I hope you don't mind me posting a question in this thread. I don't mean to hijack your thread. but I have a quick question about failing liftpumps would they cause air to built up in the fuel tank? Or could it be a bad fuel lines?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
about the liftpump, just get it from cummins i think i payed 80 bucks for mine and it was maybe a half hour job to do, go from the top its easier, not a bad job at all

·
243 Posts
when you did the lift pump do u just take it off and replace it or do u have to turn the motor to line up internals? thanx

·
Registered
964 Posts
Just do it if you can't get the rod in turn the motor a little so the rod isn't on the cam lobe. Some have taken off the inner fender which makes it a breeze to change!

·
riding in the dirty dozen
184 Posts
yeah when u change that the EASIEST!!! way possible is to remove the inner fender and go from that cuz when u take that out its right there in plain veiw. and if ur having trouble gettin the rod in there its becuse the cam lobe is in the wrong position just turn the motor till it goes in(good to have 2 people). the hardest part for me was gettin the gaskets to line up. the old ones had tabs on them that you could hold on to and they were just regular rubber gaskets. well cummins had the OH so bright idea of taking the tabs off and making them aluminum center gaskets so u had to not only line the bolt holes up u had to thread them through 2 gaskets

·
resident mason
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't believe a bad lp would push air back to tank. There is air in tank already anyways. Just no or low amount of fuel to flow and if air is in lines probably be between lp and ip assuming lines from tank are good.

·
29 Posts
ok, I guess I'll tell my friend to check his fuel lines when I see him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts