The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im goin to install a new lift pump truck is goin to be about 500hp what do yal recomend,i no every one says fass,but is it worth the money, what about air dog, or jus as a pump its self from places like bdpower

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
I was told the performer was good.. :shrug: im a 12v guy... LOL sorry..

·
454 Posts
7.3stroker said:
im goin to install a new lift pump truck is goin to be about 500hp what do yal recomend,i no every one says fass,but is it worth the money, what about air dog, or jus as a pump its self from places like bdpower
I have a FASS without the filters and i am happy with it. I got the 95GPH pump cause i wasn't planing on doing competition stuff with it anyways. I know the VP44's have a hard time starting the truck if there is 20psi or over, thats what i have been hearing. I haven't had any trouble with mine, thats why i got the 95GPH FASS pump. I must say spening the $500 on that was better then spending a lil less on a factory lift pump that won't put out enough. As far as the air dog pumps go, they look similar to the fass pumps. I heard good things about them too. The pumps have some what of a humming noise, but with the truck running you can barely hear it. My buddy Bil bought a Walboro pump and that looks just like the factory one except it puts out better fuel pressure. How much i don't know. But my buddy Bil didn't want the FASS cause he wasn't planning on doing any competition stuff either. He just tows a huge 5th wheel camper trailer. IMO i would say go with air dog or FASS. You can get them without the filters. I didn't want them thats why i didn't get them. Good like with your choice.

·
3,514 Posts
I run a FASS 95gph with the filters. IMO don't buy a fass unless you are getting the unit with the filters because it offers better filtration than the stock set up. If you are going to run a standalone pump just run a holley pump or something of that nature. As for Fass Vs. Airdog. Its honestly a father son thing, the father started airdog for semi's over 20 years ago and his son branched off and did FASS. The Air dog runs 1/2" fuel lines where as the FASS only runs 3/8". The air dog also has smaller filters that don't hang down so low, however that just means less filter material and you will have to change them more often. They are also really close in price so that doesn't make much difference. I would recommend looking at the walbro system from GDP, its excellent components, except they aren't in a nice package like the fass. They tend to get strung out along the frame. If you're shooting for 500hp you should get the 150/150 fass IMO. I have talked to a really reputable source, the vendor I bought my fass from and he said that a 95/150 would support up to 550hp on fuel, but you may want to be on the safe side and just go with the 150gph. The 150 costs the same, but you will need to change the intank pickup tube to supply enough fuel.
hope this helps a little.

And from personal experience, I love my fass. 2 years almost 40k on it without a single problem with it. You may encounter problems if your VP has been exposed to 5psi or less fuel pressure.
Sean

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
sstockton said:
And from personal experience, I love my fass. 2 years almost 40k on it without a single problem with it. You may encounter problems if your VP has been exposed to 5psi or less fuel pressure.
Sean
You might want to stay above 10 PSI... I lost my first VP44 at 8 PSI. :wow

·
3,514 Posts
You lost your VP with 8psi. How did it die? They will still die on a 12-16 psi, but not for the same reason that they die on really low pressure, they either seize or the electronics die the wearing out housing.

As for the 5psi comment, that was more referring to the metering diaphragm. The VP may still be in good working order, but if it has be exposed to less than 5psi the metering diaphragm will crack. If the metering diaphragm cracks you will quite possibly see issues with hot starts when I higher pressure pump is put in the place of the stock pump. Even just a replacement stock pump can generate enough pressure to result in hard starts when hot if the diaphragm has been damaged.
Sean

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
sstockton said:
You lost your VP with 8psi. How did it die? They will still die on a 12-16 psi, but not for the same reason that they die on really low pressure, they either seize or the electronics die the wearing out housing.
I got my gauges right at about 50K miles and realized my pressure was getting low. So I can the Dodge dealer and found about the lift pump diagnostic...

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002 Dodge/Tips & Tricks/lift pump/lift pump.htm

When I ran the diagnostic test the pump would fail 8 out of 10 times. Very marginal. Well I took photos and documented everything. Then went in to the dealer. The replaced the lift pump without question after reviewing the results of my testing.

Shop Manager was letting me know they would love to replace the VP44 but since there was no signs of failure they can't do it... Well after checking for error codes about 2 weeks later the wonderful P0216 error code started happening... Also lots of white smoke in the morning... (Advancement piston failure).

·
TDG Singles Club Mem #57
552 Posts
if you are going to run the BD you will have to take the stock lift pump out. because i can't run them both, because the truck acts like its goin to die. Anybody else have this problem

·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how well does the bd work for you and how hard was it to install

·
TDG Singles Club Mem #57
552 Posts
it was pretty easy to install. i can't run it until i take the stock lift pump out. but i did run it for a couple months and did good until the truck acted like it wanted to die, and haven't put it on since.

·
454 Posts
sstockton said:

As for the 5psi comment, that was more referring to the metering diaphragm. The VP may still be in good working order, but if it has be exposed to less than 5psi the metering diaphragm will crack. If the metering diaphragm cracks you will quite possibly see issues with hot starts when I higher pressure pump is put in the place of the stock pump. Even just a replacement stock pump can generate enough pressure to result in hard starts when hot if the diaphragm has been damaged.
Sean

Yeah the 5 psi thing only applies the the diaphragm. I put my FASS pump on and it was too late on saving my VP44. i was getting the hard starts when hot. I just recently put the special x VP 44 fromblue chipt in and its much better now. As far as all VP 44's will fail, well im sure some sooner than others. Blue Chip said that their pumps had all the upgraded electronics and internals so the pump would last a lot longer and not have any issues with heat. All factory Bosch upgraded parts. Ofcourse if you have low fuel pressure you will damage the pump again, but as far as the electronics and other internals go, a pump from bluchip has all the upgrades. They call it the FedEx upgrades.

·
3,514 Posts
Cumminsdude2001 said:
Yeah the 5 psi thing only applies the the diaphragm. I put my FASS pump on and it was too late on saving my VP44. i was getting the hard starts when hot. I just recently put the special x VP 44 fromblue chipt in and its much better now. As far as all VP 44's will fail, well im sure some sooner than others. Blue Chip said that their pumps had all the upgraded electronics and internals so the pump would last a lot longer and not have any issues with heat. All factory Bosch upgraded parts. Ofcourse if you have low fuel pressure you will damage the pump again, but as far as the electronics and other internals go, a pump from bluchip has all the upgrades. They call it the FedEx upgrades.
Yeah, that all Vp's will die applies more to stock pumps, but in all honesty, most after market ones are going to fail too, but many improvements are made to them that will help in making them last longer.
Sean

·
454 Posts
sstockton said:
Yeah, that all Vp's will die applies more to stock pumps, but in all honesty, most after market ones are going to fail too, but many improvements are made to them that will help in making them last longer.
Sean

Well its as the saying goes IT'S THE NATURE OF THE BEAST

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Lift Pumps

FASS or Glacier Diesel. Can't go wrong with either one, depends on what your after or what your wallet can afford. We've some specials going on the GDP pumps this month. I can PM prices if you like.

·
32 Posts
I have a 01 and a friend has an 03, both Dodge 2500's We both run FASS 150's with the filters. He is putting out 500 hp, I'm stock. My pressure stays between 12 and 15 lbs, unless my in-tank filter gets clogged. He gets 25/28 mpg and I get 22/23. We both run our own Biodiesel.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts